Chapter 21- Genetics

We arrived at the Chateau at 5 in the morning, France time. My daughter complained that her ears popped while taking the portkey, and I complimented her for being such a good sport about it.

"Where are we?" She looked around at the dark mansion like it was a dream. "Is this Ilvermorny?"

I kept holding her hand tightly. "We're in France. A friend of mine lives here." I hoped Draco would let us stay. Not much thought went into coming here. It just seemed like the right place to go.

I was just about to call for a House Elf when I heard the hurried footsteps of someone coming down the stairs.

Draco appeared at the bannister in a finely tailored robe, barefoot. The cast I made for him hung at his side. "Erica," despite it being the middle of the night, he was completely alert. The wards must have notified him I had arrived. When he noticed my daughter was with me, he made haste to quicken down the steps. "What's going on?"

I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I didn't know where else to go."

Draco looked down at my daughter. Something changed in his expression when he saw her up close. I could tell that he noticed right away that the color of her hair was not brown like mine, but shiny and blonde like his.

"This... is your daughter?" He asked.

My daughter was usually very friendly, but she was too tired to give Draco a proper greeting. She blinked up at him with sleepy eyes. Eyes that were exactly the same shape as his.

I sighed and put on a good-natured smile. "This is Artemis. Artemis, this is Mr. Malfoy."

Draco looked at me with disbelief. "Are you really going to make her call me that?"

I noticed that someone else had come down the stairs while we were talking, and was now peering out from behind the bannister. "And that is Scorpius," I said, gesturing for the little boy to come out. Slowly, he came to us, but stayed hidden behind Draco's legs.

As I looked at the two children it became painfully obvious that they were related. And Draco could see it, too. They both had the same exact shade of platinum hair.

Draco cleared his throat and called for his House Elf. "Paisley."

The House Elf appeared in an instant, wearing the same pink patterned pillowcase she always has. She was taken aback by the gathering of people in the foyer.

"Y-yes Master?" She stammered.

"Ready a room for our guests."

When Paisley laid eyes on Artemis, she immediately looked at Scorpius, then back at my daughter like she was seeing double. "C-certainly," she blathered, confused by the sudden appearance of what could very well be Scorpius's twin.

I knelt down and told Artemis, "Paisley will make up a bed for you. I want you to go on and go back to sleep. I'll be there in a moment."

Artemis yawned, too tired to ask questions, and followed the House Elf up the stairs. Scorpius stepped out from behind Draco.

"I-I can help," he offered. Paisley took Scorpius with her. I was relieved that the children were now out of earshot so I could explain myself.

"Draco, I-"

"When were you going to tell me?" Draco interrupted, too shocked to let me speak first. "That... that child is mine."

"I was hoping to tell you at a better time," I confessed. I hated how stupid I felt: hiding a child from someone was a big deal, and I really thought I could fake my way without Draco knowing. "As soon as Scorpius came out, the resemblance was uncanny..." I guiltily bit my bottom lip. "She's been raised by me and Len for the past four years. But yes. Artemis is yours."

Draco's anger passed in seconds and was quickly replaced by curiosity. "Artemis..." He said her name carefully, considering the meaning and sound. His eyebrow cocked as he asked, "Burton?"

I shook my head. "Artemis Thorncroft."

Draco nodded, liking the sound of that better. "Does she have a middle name?"

"... It's Dymphna."

I could see Draco's eyes widen, recognizing that name that I used so long ago when we made a star together. He made fun of the name when I picked it. I bet he never thought he'd ever hear it again.

"...You don't like it, do you?" I muttered.

"No," Draco said quickly, clearing his throat. I thought I saw his eyes glisten in the dim light. "No, it's... it's perfect." My throat swelled. Draco scanned my face and clothes for any sign of injury. "What brings you here? Are you alright?"

"I had to get out of New York," I explained. "It... it's the divorce. I was too scared to stay any longer. Len knows where my parents live, so I didn't know where else to go. I'm so sorry to impose on you like this." I hated feeling like I didn't have control of a situation. That must be the Slytherin in me.

Draco didn't seem bothered at all that I was here. He nodded in understanding. "You and Artemis are welcome to stay with me."

Tears of relief threatened to come to my eyes. I was still so tense, knowing that Len was likely looking for me right now. I needed a friend; but not just a friend, someone whose relationship was deeper than that. Draco was that person for me. He always would be. And I was overwhelmingly grateful.

Without thinking, I rested my head on Draco's chest, closing my eyes to take in the familiar sound of his heartbeat. My body and mind finally relaxed.

"Thank you," I whispered.

Draco let me lean on him, and he placed his good arm on my back. It was comforting, intimate, safe. When I began to let go, he held me closer.

"...I can keep you company tonight," He said softly.

I pulled away from the embrace. The vulnerable part of me wanted to accept his offer. But just because we have a daughter doesn't automatically mean we could be together in that way. Until Len signed the divorce papers, I was still married.

I replied in a whisper. "I should be with my daughter tonight."

Draco looked slightly rejected, but hid it well behind serious eyes. "Of course," he nodded. "...Good night."

My eyes fleetingly met his before going up the stairs. "Good night." 

---

Note: Artemis is named after the goddess of the moon. Dymphna (from the healer part 1) is the patron saint of anxiety and mental health. So their daughter's full name is Artemis Dymphna Thorncroft.