Chapter 22- Play Pretend

Pictured: Malfoy Chateau in France.

Scorpius and Artemis became best friends right away.

Whether they knew they were siblings was beyond me. It didn't seem to matter to them in the slightest. They turned the entire Chateau into their playground in just one day, scattering Scorpius's toys in every room. Artemis, who always liked to take charge whenever possible, demanded that they play "castle" and pretend to be the king and queen of the house. Scorpius went along with it eagerly. I think he was just happy to have someone to play with.

The House Elves were overjoyed to get to finally remove the furniture covers and light the fireplaces. Artemis was fascinated by Paisley, Gingham and Argyle, as she had never seen House Elves before, and roped them into playing too.

Just like how the children played imaginary games, Draco and I played our own game of pretend. We sat at the dining room table for breakfast, and said terse "good mornings". We pretended like neither of us had anything to say regarding the child we shared, or the fact that he had offered to 'keep me company' last night.

As I wrote some letters on borrowed stationery, Artemis and Scorpius rumbled into the room, screaming that they were fighting a dragon. Draco nearly spit out his morning tea.

"Scooooor-pius!" Artemis called out. "You've got to- you've got to use your shield to deflect the dragon's fire, ok? Then you stab it with your sword!"

"But I've only got a wand," Scorpius said, holding up a child's play wand that they sell at wizarding toy stores. "I'm a wizard and wizards don't use swords."

"Nuh-uh! We're playing knights. So, just, um, pretend your wand is a sword, ok?"

"Artemis," I interjected gently, "If Scorpius wants to be a wizard, he can be a wizard."

Draco looked slightly irritated by all the commotion interrupting what was our peaceful no-talking time at the dining table. He stuck his nose farther into his newspaper. Because he could not hold it properly with two hands, he had it enchanted to levitate open before him.

"Fine!" Artemis declared, turning to Scorpius. "To the kitchen! AAAAAAAAHHH!"

I stifled a snicker as Scorpius joined Artemis in an ear-piercing screech and ran off to the kitchen where Argyle was pretending to be a dragon.

"Are children usually this loud?" Draco complained.

I looked up from my letters, surprised at the question. "Yes," I said. It was obvious that children are loud, any parent would know that.

Draco magically flipped the page of his paper with a wave of his right hand. "I wouldn't know. This is the first time Scorpius has had a proper playmate."

"Well, Artemis will take on that role any day."

Draco kept his face hidden behind his newspaper. Then, in a low voice, asked, "How long can we expect to enjoy your company?"

I considered the question. I had only brought three changes of clothes for myself, and four for Artemis, but with magic, cleaning them was no issue. In the letter to my parents I had told them we were somewhere safe but did not say when we would be returning. Another letter was going to Hohenheim Hospital to let them know I would not be able to come in, which was really just a formality. I made my own schedule now, so it's not like I had a superior to answer to. Basically I could stay at the Chateau as long as I needed to. But I had no intention of staying long enough to lead Draco to get the wrong idea; Artemis and I couldn't have a life here.

I opened my mouth to reply. "I-"

"MUM!" Artemis ran into the room, a wide smile plastered across her cheeks, Scorpius behind her. "Mum, we slayed the dragon! Scorpius casted a spell on him and he 'sploded! And then Argyle gave us some jam and crackers!"