Chapter 29- The Scars Left Behind

Sunday October 14th, 2012

"What do you mean there's 50 people in our gardens?"

These were the last words I got out before Narcissa Malfoy tightened the strings of my corset, sufficiently knocking all the air from my lungs. Narcissa was relentless at this task, and used an enchantment to assist her in tightening the corset until my waist was the circumference of a dessert plate.

Narcissa fixed my hair for what may be the tenth time that morning. "I know this comes as a shock, but do try to keep a level head," Narcissa implored me, "If your blood pressure rises while you're in this dress you may pass out."

"Oh, cheers," I grumbled.

"Let's see, where did that guest list run off to-" I heard the sound of Narcissa rummaging through tulle, gems, and other accessories. "Ah-ha! Your friends Greta Munch, Evelyn Vaughn, and Penny Parkinson are all in attendance- Penny's sister, Pansy Nott, is here as well-"

I caressed my aching ribs. "Pansy accepted the invitation?" I wheezed.

"Yes, and she brought her husband Theodore and their two children Eponine and Stefan. Cora Nygard and Poppy Pomfrey are also in attendance... and oh, the Weasleys and Potters all accepted, and naturally brought their countless offspring."

My head spun. "Including you, Lucius and the children, that's... 20 people? Are you counting the House Elves?"

Narcissa pursed her lips. "Well, there's the matter of the uninvited."

I wanted to ask Narcissa what on earth she meant, but she briskly clipped a bridal veil to my head and began ushering me into the hallway. "Come along, now, no use standing about chatting." Narcissa's energy was suffocating. My stomach was already fluttering with nerves and anxiety- and I was catching some of hers.

"Listen to me closely," She said to me hurriedly, her heels clacking along the wooden floors of the Chateau as she guided me along, "I know your dress is tight, and your shoes are pinching the dickens out of your feet, and I put enough mascara on you to make a House Elf look like a burlesque dancer. But look only at Draco, and no one else, and you'll be just fine."

"G-got it."

"If you need something to do, clutch this for dear life," Narcissa handed me a bouquet of ivy and white daffodils.

Artemis bolted into the hall in her little green dress. Even though we had it fitted just last month, the hem hovered a good three inches above her ankles. With her sixth birthday only a month away, she was growing like a weed, and now preferred to be called 'Artie'.

"Mum, how long do I have to wear this dress?"

"Not long at all. The ceremony will be quick," I replied, observing how astoundingly cute she was when she allowed a bow to be put on her head. "It's your turn first, Artie, don't forget." Artemis pulled the petals in her basket to shreds with her fingers, looking like she would rather be playing in the mud.

"The music!" Narcissa's head snapped to attention. "Oh, Merlin, the quartet has started. Take my hand, dearest, and we'll go together." Narcissa offered her hand to Artemis, and the two of them disappeared beyond the double french doors and into the open air of the Chateau's gardens.

I was left by myself in the corridor then, suffering through every panting breath in my strangling white wedding dress. I had passed off all wedding planning to Narcissa while I traveled around Europe removing Dark Marks. Thirteen months and zero fatalities later, I was finally ready to settle down and have a wedding. The one request I gave to Narcissa was that the group of guests was small. Now that I was aware 50 witches and wizards were in attendance and waiting for me, exiting those doors suddenly felt like jumping off a building.