Chapter Three

Down Bad

3578 words

The sun had since set, it was freezing on the island. Ana shivered holding her thin sweater sleeves against her arms rubbing up and down to make any warmth she could. Martha sat beside her and Shelby on her other side, it was quiet, no one wanted to talk much after Jeanette's burial.

"I'm gonna swim out to the plane tomorrow. See if I can find anything. Maybe a radio or a callbox." Ana didn't even move her eyes over to Rachel, they were stuck on the fire as she sat silently wondering what her sister's were doing at this very moment. "I'll come with you." Leah then spoke up, Ana didn't look at her either. She felt Martha lean into her both leaning into each other's touch for warmth, "How's your stuff so dry?" Martha then question Fatin causing Ana to look over to the raven haired girl who was now wearing a fluffy pink sweater. "My parents bought me this...watertight 1,000$ suitcase for this trip. They thought it would, like, sweeten the deal. Fucktards." She paused for a moment then looked at the two shaking girls. "Sorry." She reached behind her grabbing two sweaters before looking at the two throwing them the clothing.

"Thanks." Ana smiled wrapping herself in the fluffy sweater the Fatin had given her. "Hey let me get one." Dot then said putting her hands up. Ana snuggled into the sweater, she still shivered but could feel some heat returning to her body. Everyone took items of clothing from Fatin wrapping them around themselves to get warm. "This is my rock bottom." Dot then said looking down at the sweater print. Ana chuckled a little bringing her knees up to her chest smiling, her eyes never leaving the fire despite her feeling of being watched, she knew who it was.

"So...would it be crazy if I suggested a little...icebreaker?" Shelby then spoke up from next to Ana finally making the girls eyes tear away from the fire once more. "Never Have I Ever. Feels...right." "All right. Only if you go first. None of those bullshit lightweight answers. Give us the real." Toni stared at Shelby with a little glare, her voice slightly sharp. "Fine. Never have I ever had vaginal penetrative intercourse." At the same time Ana and Martha looked down at their hands feeling small compared to everyone else who drank. "So that's why your boyfriends a cheat?" Ana looked up at Toni shaking her head, a ghost of a smile on her face. "He's not a cheat." Shelby responded slightly offended.

"Glad I'm not the only one. I would've felt so stupid." Martha then said softly making both Shelby and Ana turn to her. "Hey, I haven't either Marty it's okay." Ana smiled, "Get outta here. It takes guts to save yourself, you know that?" Shelby smiled at Ana and Martha which made both girls feel a lot better. Ana's eyes then drifted across the fire to Toni who was practically staring daggers at her, the feeling making her almost nervous. "All right. Never have I ever...had a threesome." Fatin drank like it was nothing looking at Dot like she'd asked what her favorite color was. "With two guys, not two girls." Fatin drank, again, like it was nothing. Ana stifled a laugh watching Dot think, also holding back a laugh.

"On my period." Fatin went to drink looking at Dot for a moment before putting the bottle back down. "I mean, I'm not a freak." Everyone giggled for a moment before Rachel then spoke, "All right, I got one. Never have I ever...thrown my own piss at someone." Ana snorted along with Martha who both began to laugh earning curious looks from the other girls. "Drink up Toni." Ana smiled earning one from Toni who put the bottle in the air, "With pride, motherfuckers."

-

Everyone was sleeping, or at least Ana thought everyone was sleeping. She sat just a little ways from the others staring at the sky searching for constellations with her eyes, trying to forget the ever growing fear in her stomach that she'd never get off this island. Footsteps behind her brought her back to the reality she so desperately wanted to escape from.