Chapter Four

Red Flags

744 words

----BEFORE----

"I don't know what you see in him." Janie complained, setting her tray down at the lunch table. "He's sweet." "He's a tool. And hates Toni, with a passion. You know, your best friend." Ana huffed setting the tray down and sitting down across from Janie. "He doesn't hate her, they just don't get along. Toni doesn't along with anyone I like. It's normal." Janie smirked, taking a bite from her apple slice. "Trust me, I know." Ana looked up ruffling her eyebrows at the smirk that laid on her sister's face. "Stop looking at me like that." "You're the only one that doesn't see it y'know." Ana raised an eyebrow. "See what?" "That-" "I'm gonna fucking kill that bitch." A tray was suddenly slammed down in front of the seat that was next to Ana making her jump and look over.

"What?" "Toni's mad at Madison again." Janie laughed scooting over a bit so that Martha could sit down. "What she do this time T?" Ana smiled watching Toni as she sat down. "Fucking bitch was trying to say she could play better then I could." "Of course she did." Ana laughed, taking a bite of her mac and cheese. Martha and Janie soon began talking to each other leaving Toni and Ana to sit next to each other in silence, the anger radiating off of Toni not going undetected. "She's doing this on purpose to make you mad and your letting her." Ana stated looking at Toni who was fuming, staring daggers at Madison's table. "She likes when you get mad." Ana muttered, taking another bite.

"What should I do?" Ana shrugged feeling her phone vibrate in her pocket. "I would say ignore her but that's long been ruled out." Ana smiled looking down at her phone reading a message from her mom. "Hey, are you spending the night tonight, T?" Ana asked looking up Toni who furiously shoved a french-fry in her mouth, her eyes darting from Ana's phone then back to her face. "Yeah." "Okay." Ana quickly texted her mom back before someone came and stood beside the table making her look up at the person in confusion.

"Hey babe." An eruption of groans around her made Ana turn around glaring at her friends hard. "Hey Zeke, what's up?" Ana turned back smiling up at the boy. "I was gonna ask if you wanted to hang out tonight?" He barely got to finish the sentence when Toni's usual sarcastic laugh butted in. "Tough luck, she's hanging out with me tonight." Ana turned around to see Toni had on her usual shit-eating smirk, the blonde girl trying not to laugh as she turned back around to Zeke. "Sorry, tomorrow definitely though, but we already had plans." Ana tried to say sincerely but Zeke only rolled his eyes walking away with a few mutters and 'okays' as the rest of the girls watched.

"Okay, fuck red flags Ana, that was a red goddamn banner." Janie glared, throwing her fork down onto her plate, staring at her sister with an annoyed expression. "He's just having a rough day I bet, we all do." Ana brushed off taking another small bite of mac and cheese. Janie soon walked off leaving the three to silently sit at the table for a moment. "If it helps Ana, I thought he was nice." Marty muttered with a soft smile, earning a scoff from Toni. "Not you too Marty." Ana turned to Toni shaking her head. "So it's only okay when you catch an attitude, right?" Ana asked, starting to feel angrier at Toni who only stared at her slightly shocked at her sudden outburst. "Y'know you hate every single person I talk to. I never really liked Regan but I still support you because you're my best friend even though I think it's a mistake. I don't bash you for it and I sure as hell don't scare her off and give her dirty looks." Ana huffed grabbing her backpack from the ground and swinging it onto her shoulder.

"I'll see you guys later." Ana muttered, picking up her tray, refusing to look Toni or Martha in the eyes as she walked away, throwing away her food as she left the cafeteria. She walked until she made it to her classroom sitting down at her desk, her chest filled with regret at the words she'd said. But there was no taking it back now. 

A/N: Flashback chapters will *usually* be shorter then normal chapters because they are only short flashbacks but they also help piece together the past. Anywayyy love y'all <3