Loving You Is A Losing Game

Hello there lovelies, Eugenia here!

I'd like to thank all of you, who read and like and comment on the story, it makes my day and makes me so happy to see that there are people who read the story! I am really glad that you enjoy it.

Wanted to check in and say that since the show is coming out tomorrow, we are going to lose our last two brain cells, so before the series drops: there you go, another chapter to keep you occupied.

I will see you next week with a new one, but for now, enjoy this one, and thank you again for commenting and liking the story. It means a lot to me and I refresh my page a few times a day to see how it is progressing. Thank you a lot!

                                                                 ***    ***   ***   ***   ***

Genya and Zoya followed Alina shortly after she left for her room. They found her standing by the window, bathing in the sunlight. Eyes closed, she looked like she came out of a painting; she looked serene and holy, like a true Saint. Alina had her arms crossed in front of her with the hands holding onto her elbows in a hug. She looked calm, but they knew her mind was a storm.

Her jacket lay on the floor, and she was in her long-sleeved shirt that seemed a bit too big on her small frame. She looked ethereal, and she resembled a Saint now more than ever under the sunlight. Even after she murdered somebody, even in her soldier gear, with hair messy and loose on her back, she looked like she belonged to the heavens. It felt as if they were borrowing from the holy places, like they were wrongly asking for the help of a Saint.

"Are you okay, Alina?" Genya asked and put a gentle hand on her shoulder. Alina sighed and turned to her with a smile.

"I am," she said. It didn't seem like she was lying, and yet it felt wrong to Zoya. She had changed so much. She used to be scared of using her power to hurt people, but now she was more determined to kill if it meant the well-being of her people.

"Do you miss it?" Zoya suddenly asked. She wanted to know, she wanted to ask her this a long time ago, but she didn't want to cut her where the scar could never heal. Curiosity won her over this time. Genya gave her a stern look, but Zoya was starring at the ground where the light hit. She couldn't possibly look Alina in the eyes and ask her this question.

How could a Grisha live without their powers? How was this imaginable or possible? Zoya could only try and put herself in Alina's shoes, but she felt anger and sadness at the thought of her losing her powers. Her whole existence revolved around her being a Grisha; it was her core, it was her. How do you survive this fall, after being so high, after being on top? How does the bottom feel like?

"The palace?" Alina asked and turned to sit on the edge of her bed. Genya sat next to her, and Zoya moved to stand in front of her. From a different angle, it could have looked like Zoya was interrogating Alina. "My title? Or my powers?"

"Everything," Zoya said. "Do you miss any of it?"

"I do miss my powers," Alina said as she looked at her palms. The place where she used to call the light out of. She put her hands in fists and placed them on her lap, and then looked at Zoya. "I miss them the most. But the more powerful I got, the greedier for power I was. I was slowly turning into him. And I could understand it, this need for power, this hunger."

They knew well enough who she was talking about.

"I miss you guys," she said and smiled a Genya and squeezed her hand. "I miss spending time with you like that, even though the occasions were never good ones. It feels like home; it feels like I belong."

"Oh, you silly girl," Genya swallowed back tears and pushed her playfully with her shoulder. "You do belong here. Always will. Always." She squeezes her hand back.