Wish We Could Be Like That

Alina woke up, well-rested after the Darkling's visit. She was well aware of what had happened the previous night. She was too tired to blame it on her weak-willed behavior or her exhaustion or something else. She was tired of pretending and denying that there still was something, some connection between them, that pulled them closer to each other. She was done fighting it, but it didn't mean she would seek it out or enable it more.

She went about her day as usual and acted as normal as she could. She would try to help the others with any insight or information she might have had, and she would try to teach Vladim the Cut.

This proved a harder task than imagined since she was more of a hands-on person and one leading by example. However, now she could not have shown him how to do it right; she could only guide him how Baghra used to guide her once.

The Darkling knew well how to use the Cut; he could probably simplify things for him to understand and be more efficient in his learning. Still, she would not go to him or send Vladim to him. She was sure he would demonstrate by cutting him in half, and she already knew how that would look like. Alina has seen people cut in half one time too many; it was more than enough for a lifetime.

"Concentrate on the target and your stance," she instructed him as she guided his hand and positioned his fingers. "You're too unsure of your hand; the light doesn't have a target or proper guidance; you are in charge of the light, not the other way around. Be more sure of it. You are the one in control, not the other way around."

"I am sorry," he told her.

"Don't be," she scolded him. "Be more aggressive; it is not a movement meant to caress or heal people; it is meant to cut. Be more confident. Practice the movement before you use the light. Remember, steady and sure hands. We don't want you to lose control of it and cut the wrong people."

Alina left him by himself at the balcony as she went to the other side of the room to the others at the table. It was a strenuous job, both mentally and physically, trying to teach someone how to murder people.

"Where are the boys?" She asked as she looked around and noticed the absence of Kaz and Jesper.

"They have some information to gather and stuff to do," Nikolai told her casually.

"What they're doing is very illegal and dangerous, isn't it?" There was a note of judgment in Alina's tone.

"Don't blame me now, darling," he stood up from his chair and straightened his uniform. "They thrive in all things dangerous and illegal. It is their natural habitat."

"Yeah, until one day they don't," Zoya answered behind Alina as she entered the room. She seemed tired and annoyed but did smile at Alina as a greeting.

"Don't worry about them," Nikolai reassured Alina as he winked and invited Zoya over to him. "Care to share any information?"

Alina turned around to see who Nikolai was talking to. She was surprised to see the Darkling standing behind her, even more so that she hadn't heard him. Or maybe she was not fazed by his presence like she once was. Maye she had gotten used to it and paid no further attention to it.

"I believe you've seen more than enough," Nikolai told him. Alina didn't understand what he meant, but it seemed like the Darkling knew. It must have been about the deal they made. He was still their prisoner, even if it didn't feel like it. He was more like their responsibility, a naughty child that had to be taken care of and never let out of their sight.

He didn't bother to look at Alina when she turned to study him. For a moment, she thought she had imagined last night. Somehow that would have been worse.