Chapter 22. Guns

Brian's POV.

"How did this happen? My mom angrily says putting the revolver Carl had away."

"Well, it's my fault. I let him into the RV. He said he wanted a walkie, that you sent him for one?." Mom says

He looks at my mom.

" So on top of everything else, he lied. What's he thinking? " my mom says.

"he wants to learn how to shoot. " I tell her. I was the one catching Carl with the gun. He was asking me if I wanted to ask dad to let him come.

"Now it's none of my business, but I'm happy to do it. It's your call. " Shane tells lori.

"I'm not comfortable with it."

My dad looks at my mom with a face that says, ooh come on.

"Oh, don't make me out to be the unreasonable one here. Rick? "

" I know. I have my concerns too, but...." Says Dad

"There's no but. He is just a Kid. He saw how Jeffrey got shot and now he wants one." Mom says.

I looked over at Jeffrey who looked at me and shrugged.

"Better than him being afraid of 'em. There are guns in camp for a reason. He should learn to handle them safely. " dad says.

" I don't want my kids walking around with a gun."

" to late.....I already have one and I think Carl needs to be able to protect himself." I tell her.

"Brian your nineteen... He is only twelve..."i sighed and looked away. "He's as safe as he'll ever be right here." She says

" Look, everything you're saying makes perfect sense. " my dad says

" It feels wrong. I mean I didn't feel good about him following you out into the woods. And I wish I'd said something. It could've been Carl" she says.

" hey! It would be bad either way.!" I tell her getting triggered. She said it as if she was glad it was jeff instead.

She looked at me then at Jeff" I didn't mean it like that you know that.

Dad sighed. "Remember when I teached Brian?."

I looked up at him

"still... Brian was what? 17? " she cuts back

" carl is growing up thank God, wich means we need to start treating him more like an adult." Says my dad.

"Then he needs to act like one. He's not mature enough to handle a gun." My mom says

"I'm not gonna play with it, mom. It's not a toy. I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I want to look for Sophia and I want to defend our camp. I can't do that without a gun."

I was thinking the exact thing, about defending the camp and looking for Sophia.

"Shane's the best instructor I know. I've seen him teach kids younger than Carl. " my dad says.

Mom grabs Carl by his chin and makes him look at her. "You will take this seriously and you will behave responsibly. And if I hear from anyone in this camp that you're not living up to our expectations..."

" He won't let you down." I said sighing.

" Yeah. " he says smiling at me.

"Now if you're gonna do this, you listen to Shane."

"Okay, dad."

"All right?" Mom asks him again.

He nods