Chapter 26: Sophia

Jeffrey's POV.

"we're almost there" I tell Michael.

He nods.

As we keep walking I suddenly hear shouting in the distance.

" you hear that?" I ask Michael.

" yeah. That's back at the farm. Come on!" he says as he starts running.

I sprint after him and as we reach the clearing we see our group at the barn.

Brian's POV.

"Shane! What the hell are you doing? Shane, just back off." my dad yells.

We were returning with the two walkers on a leash when Shane and the rest of our group started sprinting our way.

"Why do your people have guns?" Hershel asks from beside me.

I wasn't holding a walker

"Are you kidding me? You see? You see what they're holding onto?" he says looking at the rest of our group. Ignoring Hershel.

"I see who I'm holding onto." Hershel says.

Hershel's family also ran down to see what the hell was going on.

" No, man, you don't." he spits back.

This wasn't going good at all. Why did Shane have to ruin this.

"Shane, just let us do this and then we can talk." Dad pleads.

Maggie and the rest of her family reaches us and her eyes meet mine. She has a look of worry on her face.

"What you want to talk about, Rick? These things ain't sick. They're not people. They're dead. Ain't gonna feel nothing for them 'cause all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us." he shouts pointing his finger at the walkers.

"Shane, shut up!" I yell at him. He looks at me and glares.

"no! I don't think I will. Even you know this ain't right." he spits towards me.

I looked at the ground. He was right the walkers in the barn wasn't right. Not at all but if this was the way we had to play this to stay here then that was fine by me. Thing is, Shane never wanted to be here. He wanted to go to Fort Benning.

" Hey, Hershel man, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?" he says raising his gun.

"No! - Stop it!" Dad yells.

" Shane Please don't." I say

He shoots the gun three times

"That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why is it still coming?" he says.

I look at Maggie who is looking through teary eyes at the walkers. She didn't have to see this. Even if she knew those things were dangerous.

I flinch as Shane shoots his gun again.

"That's its heart, its lungs. Why is it still coming?"

"Shane, enough." Dad yells again. Glaring at his former partner

" Yeah, you're right, man. That is enough. " he says aiming the last bullet for the walkers head and pulling the trigger.

Suddenly in the corner of my eyes I see Jeffrey and Michael running over to us. I look at him confused as he stares at Shane.