{23}

Lilith Swan

Everything moved so quickly.

Bella was hissing and snarling like a feral cat causing everyone else to take action. The girl in front of me was not what she used to be, vampire or not. There was a murderous glint in her eye, hidden behind blistering envy. Her eyes never left Dorothea, even after Carlisle conducted their attention away from the baby.

My stomach had never been knotted in such anxiety in my life, not when facing the Volturi, not when Victoria's attack loomed over our heads or even when I was presenting Rose with her gift. Everything felt rotten like something had spoilt. Something bad was going to happen, if not right this second then sometime soon. I could feel the nausea settle deep within my bones and I just know that it can't be shaken.

"Is she an immortal child?" Edward asked apprehensively, as the tension in the room grew thicker. A threatening growl left Rose without hesitation at the question and I could only guess that immortal children were problems. "She was born not bitten Edward, even an idiot such as you should be able to sense the blood in her body" the blonde spit out with malice. My heart was beating so fast that it ached.

It was all too overwhelming. The newlyweds had barely been back for a minute and Bella was already causing problems again. It was like she couldn't help herself. "How can she have been born, you're all vampires" Bella spat out in fury. Her stance only became more aggressive with each unanswered question.

"Someone owed Lilith a favour and she passed it onto me, that's all you need to know" Rose hissed back, arm slightly tightening around my shoulder. I wanted to be sick. I wanted to just go back to before Bella and Edward came home and we could all act like everything was okay again. Bella seemed to almost sober up at this revelation and an unusual look of calmness washed over her face. "Lilith, could I speak to you outside for a moment?"

She only wants to talk, however, she has no problems harming you if necessary

I had a choice to make based on my intuition, agree and possibly be harmed, or stay and put Dorothea at risk as well as myself. She wasn't guaranteed to harm me, and it was better than the alternative. I calmly began to get off the sofa before Felix stood behind me with an arm around my waist. "Are you sure you want to risk this with her? " He asked ready to attack the newborn.

"I'll stay close to the door and if I have so much as a hint that she'll try anything I'll tell you. I'll knock three times" I reassured him before he nodded and let me go. The walk to the front of the house was tense. But I'd rather do this than leave Bella in a room with Dorothea for another second.

Once outside she immediately turned to face me. "So that's it, you're going to leave at the end of the year with all these secrets and mysteries? You're just gonna up and leave Charlie? Just tell me how you did it" She growled out.

"First off do not talk to me like you yourself having been planning to leave dad since you set your eyes on Edward, second off all unlike you dad isn't going to know that I'm 'dead'. He's my mate Bella it's not as simple as you seem to think it is. He's lived with the Volturi for centuries longer than I can even fathom. I'm not just going to force him away from a life longer than any of us have ever lived. If Edward was your mate rather than you his La Tua Cantante then maybe you would understand the position I'm in. When's the funeral by the way?" Bella completely ignored my last jab but rather seemed to be focusing on something else.

"You still haven't answered the real question. How did you do it?" she seethed through her teeth. So that's really what this is about.

"That's for me to know Bella" maybe this wasn't the best way to handle this but Garnet wasn't a tool for Bella to gain what she wants.

"Oh, so you'll do it for Rose but not for me?" She continued with her tirade.

"Rose deserved this, and getting here wasn't easy Bella. But even if I could do it again, even if it was that easy, why would I? Why would I go to such extremes for you?" and her eyes seemed to blaze harder at my questions.

"Why? Because we're sisters!" I wanted to scoff at her claim.

"Because we're sisters? Is that what you tell yourself? Are we sisters when you wouldn't respond or write back to any of my letters? When you would ignore me at any family gatherings I was able to attend? You have never spoken a word to me unless it has benefitted you in some way. You never even said goodbye when Rene sent me away and yet you also seem to think that I will just roll over and give you what you want. I am not Edward and I am not Jacob. I owe you nothing and will give you as such" It was freeing, liberating almost to get everything off my chest. Our hostility was never hidden however I don't believe that Bella ever thinks she has done anything wrong. "You know I always used to think it was my fault, maybe I did or said something. Maybe I should have tried harder. But then I realised that you never even tried at all. Couldn't be fucked to so much as look my way. You don't care about anybody if they can't further your own goals, which is why I'm not going to do this for you"

Before she could begin to process what I said I knocked on the door. I didn't trust her enough not to attack me once her brain finally caught up to the conversation. My mate was before me glaring down at the brunette before I could blink. I could relax now in the safety of his presence.

"This is not over, we are not ending this conversation here" Bella continued to scream and rant as we turned back into the house. Whatever was going to happen now was completely dependant on the actions of Bella Swan.

Thank you for reading~