{Epilogue}

Lilith Swan

Everyone was organised in perfect place waiting for the accused to be brought in. The kings were sat as standard in their thrones on the steps, Alec, Jane and Renata were stood behind them while I was waiting to the left of the steps with Dorothea, who now looked eighteen. The large oak doors opened to Felix and Demetri dragging in a rather cocky looking vampire with bright scarlet eyes from recent feeding and choppy blonde hair. His nomadic clan had been found guilty of killing conspicuously, killing an entire village in the north of Pennsylvania and leaving evidence behind. The other two members of his clan assumed that her weak psychic shield would keep their memories safe from Aro. A stupid plan really. However, cases of nomads thinking the Volturi were nothing but a myth were fairly common. Either not being taught the laws by their creators, whether through ignorance or malice or simply being turned and left to fend for themselves. It's all too common for nomads or small covens to believe that their supernatural status in turn meant that they could do anything they wanted, take anything or act as a would-be king. But none of them lasted. This vampire though had an air about him that suggested he thought himself on top of the world.

If only he knew the chances of him leaving were zero to none.

"Well my dear, it seems as though you've committed a crime, one that cannot go unpunished, your clanmates have told us enough" Aro spoke with a deceptively calm and friendly tone, gently holding the immortal's boyish face to bring his attention to himself. As Felix and Demetri pulled his arms straight in preparation to pull them off, the realisation slowly sunk on his face. He pitifully attempted to escape the hold he was in as cracks started appearing on his porcelain face. He was swiftly pulled apart before being taken to be disposed of.

All in all, life couldn't have turned out better in the long run. Emmett's strength landed him on the upper guard, while Felix and Demetri have been promoted to the elite guard. Rosalie's beauty landed her working with Heidi as a fisher, their combined beauty was a force to be reckoned with, and the girls grew as close friends. Dorothea and I were also regarded as part of the elite guard, the only difference was that we were always brought to trials, regardless of how petty the crime in question.

Life wasn't as monotonous or as stale as others would have you believe, telling stories of how the Volturi lock away important or powerful members to horde them. Or tales of robot-like routines that saw us acting as immoral machines for the rest of our undead lives with no spontaneity. But rather we get to leave on missions with the rest of the elite guard, getting to see places I would never have been able to under human constraints of time and money. Demetri became as good a friend to me as Rose and Emmett had, and to my surprise so had the twins, Although Jane tends to irritate Felix with her gift my shield meant that she now couldn't. At first, I thought that would have landed me on her shit list but when it comes down to it the twins are just children, traumatised by their upbringing and as much as Jane was in fact a little sadist, she was also misunderstood. Alec was also rather calm and rational, but preferred the company of his sister or a good book.

The Volturi weren't an evil force that sought out power for power's sake, no matter what one may say about Aro's intentions. Ultimately, acting as peacekeepers or governors was bound to grant you some less than desirable adversaries. We were necessary for keeping vampires a secret, and stopping mass murder sprees by the younger and more dangerous newborns. As much as the work could be taxing or stressful. I was now surrounded by my family and that's all I could ever ask for.

I had Felix who I loved unconditionally and who loved me just as much, I had my friends who kept me sane even after the most ridiculous of missions. I was even allowed to keep written contact with dad long after I had left the small rainy town of Forks. As much I could have never imagined the rest of my life playing out how it did all those years ago, I couldn't have asked for a better one.

Thank you for reading~