{26}

Aro Volturi

Aro Volturi was torn. He had received regular updates from his executioner Felix, the newest one detailing the Cullen's newest additions, both Bella and the dhampir child. However, now reflecting upon the request of said newborn Aro Volturi could say that he was well and truly at a crossroad. On one hand, he could not verify her experience for she was a shield and blocked his gift, therefore he had no idea if the claims that she made were true. While on the other hand the claims that she made would hold serious consequences on the golden-eyed coven. Immortal children were simply too dangerous to be allowed to live.

What Felix had told Edward was true, Aro valued Carlisle's friendship in high regard and did not want to believe that said patriarch would allow such a heinous crime to be committed under his watch. But he also had to collect every ounce of truth, the law could not escape his old friend for fear of the Volturi's rule would come into question. The lower-ranked clans and nomads could rebel thus causing the future of vampires to be at risk.

He also had to weigh out the opportunity that had presented itself to him. Alice Cullen, although talented greatly, was not a true seer. She could see the future only from the angle of decisions made by others rather than perceiving the true events themselves. This is why her visions would change so frequently and cause unexpected consequences. For example, the vision Aro had seen at their trial when Bella was human had not happened at all, rather Bella being turned on an island off the coast of South America and not by herself either. As much as she wasn't infallible she was also incredibly insightful. However, he had also seen her rather disunified behaviours as he read her thoughts.

She allowed others to be manipulated so long as she got the outcome that she wanted in her visions, falling in love with people long before he had met them only encouraged this behaviour. She guided and encouraged Edwards rather forward and controlling actions of Bella because she saw said girl in her future, telling his of her whereabouts and decisions so that she could ultimately keep her best friend forever. Her gift was powerful but the vampire herself was rather self-preserving and motivated. This lead Aro to question whether she would be a great asset to the Volturi or would simply look to gain more benefits for herself. She had no regard for those that had no value to her goals, which is why she allowed Lilith to join them in the first place and this kind of behaviour would be problematic if she was on the guard.

He also had to weigh up keeping Lilith and Felix close. He knew the mountainous vampire was loyal and strong, no newborn could stand against him if they tried. He knew Felix wouldn't lie to him, for he had seen inside his mind frequently and knew how deep his bonds were tied. But he had no idea if Lilith would follow him yet, he had met the human but once. Her gift was truly spectacular and he wanted her in the guard. Not only would she be able to tell if those on trial were lying but she too to a degree had talents in divination. In her mind, he was able to see that she could almost effortlessly gain information on future events, so long as she asked the right questions.

Aro ultimately came to the conclusion that it was more beneficial and easier to gain Lilith alongside Felix in the inevitable confrontation than it would be to get Alice, but with Bella in Italy, Edward should soon follow regardless. Though the black-haired ruler had to question why the telepath had not arrived with his la tua cantante. Thus his suspicions of the girl were raised even more. He had seen enough in Lilith's memories to know that she was more selfish than she liked others to believe. He knew he would have to take her words with a grain of salt and treason was punishable by death.

The trial would have to be conducted regardless with such a serious allegation. That much was clear. So with a heavy heart, Aro sent forth a letter for Felix and his mate in Forks before gathering his clan.

The Cullens

The Cullen household, although tense over Edward's missing wife, had been relatively calm as they slowly prepared how they would announce her death as well as trying to track her. As autumn turned to winter Dorothea continued to grow now looking like a healthy ten-year-old girl, and it was clear at just a glance that she was taking after Rose more and more.

Lilith had been slowly gathering her belongings over the weeks, gradually packing what she would need for Italy while spending as much time with Carlie as she could. But his job unfortunately didn't give him an abundance of spare time. But she would also admit that she was happy to move on with her life with Felix. It had been hard at first coming to terms with leaving her old life behind, but it would have had to happen eventually she would reason. Charlie wouldn't be around forever even if she were to stay human. It was simply the way life worked. She believed that her fear stemmed from her lack of life plan previously. She never really knew what she wanted to do after uni and was scared of being left alone with failure. Charlie was all she really had in life as she was never good at making friends but now she had Felix, who also treasure her that his best friend Demetri and herself would get along like a house on fire. She also had Rose, Emmett and Dorothea who promised to keep in contact after she left and for the first time in a long while Lilith felt happy about the future.

Felix on the other hand had been itching to leave Forks. As much as he would begrudgingly admit to missing Rosalie, Emmett and Dorothea he just wanted to go home. He also wanted to turn his mate, fighting the newborn army had reminded him just how vulnerable she was in her mortal state and he couldn't begin and refused to imagine what life would be like if she wasn't here anymore. He would teach her to fight so that while he was on missions she would be able to defend herself, although he had a feeling she would be staying in the court as a 'judge' or possibly 'jury' alongside the kings, her gift was perfect for it and Aro made his intentions clear. He wouldn't want to risk her gift being lost during a mission gone south.

As Alice was putting out a glass vase full of blooming flowers she was suddenly pulled into a vision, causing her to drop and shatter the bouquet on the floor. Jasper rushed to her side in worry as her eyes finally focused on the family surrounding her.

"The Volturi are coming"

Thank you for reading~