{1}

Lilith Swan

The day dad called me heartbroken about Bella running away was the day I realised we would never get along.  Despite being two years older than Bella the gap between us seemed vast and infinite. Rene sent me away to a boarding school in Britain when she realised she couldn't handle raising two children. But then again she could barely look after herself. I just wished she had allowed Charlie to keep custody of me if she knew she couldn't handle the responsibility.

Selfish

She was selfish. Wanting to look like the perfect parent and not quite reaching the mark. Not that many people can, being a parent is difficult and will always be difficult. Mood swings, hormonal tendencies, and that small twinge of heartbreak when your chick finally wants to leave the nest. But at least she tried, with Bella that is and the apple never seems to fall far from the tree. Dad was trying as hard as he could to look after her in Forks, but being the chief of police was always going to take a lot of his time. Either she couldn't fathom what he does for her or she didn't care either way.

Though now I've finished the first 2 years of university I have the chance to spend a year abroad. So I've chosen to live with dad for the year while  I do my online work so that I could hopefully help ease his stress. Charlie was trying his absolute best but he was going to need some help. It wasn't fair for him to work full time, look after the house, and manage with Bella at the moment. He needs a break.

That's how I found myself suitcase in hand just having exited the taxi stood outside of my home. Excitement rising in my stomach as I knocked on the door. Although I visited him during the holidays and sent letters throughout the years, nothing came close to just being able to see him without that time limit looming over my shoulders. 

"Dad" I breathed in relief. I was pulled into the tight embrace that I missed so much whenever I was away from home. ''Its been a while kiddo, how have you been?'' Something that I always loved about dad was his genuine and seemingly inescapable sense of awkwardness. Even as we hug in the doorway after such a long time he acts like it is the first time I'm visiting. ''Great, even better now that I'm home again'' Dad grabbed my suitcase and started leading me inside the house. ''I haven't changed your room since you last visited, it's nice of you to come and visit your old man when you can'' he playfully spoke as we walked up the stairs so I could get settled in.

''My dorm has gotten too full of work and course books, so I thought  I would come and invade your home instead'' I joked back as the door to the attic was opened. ''yeah well you have plenty of space up there to invade to your heart's content'' he chuckled, helping me by placing my suitcase up in my room. He still looked so exhausted even with the content smile upon his face. I believe he knew that Bella and I would never get along, but with every phonecall up until now, he was sounding more and more tired.

''She isn't doing well, Lilith,'' he explained as we walked into the old room. ''I know that the two of you haven't had much interaction with each other over the years but I need some kind of reaction out of her, even if it's nothing but an awkward conversation between you'' he looked at the floor sheepishly ''Well that and I missed you while you're at school'' Same old Charlie, still an awkward lovable teddy bear.

''Well I missed you too, that and someone had better come and make sure you get a good evening meal'' a wide grin on my face. Whenever I had come to visit I loved cooking for dad. He worked so hard that he would often go to the diner for meals as he didn't have the time or skill to make food after work. Steak and cobbler. Every. Single. Time. 

''Were you meant to be working today?'' I asked as I really took in his appearance for the first time today. His black hair was greying, I imagine from the added stress, he had dark purple bags under his mildly bloodshot eyes. He looked like he hadn't slept in a month. He probably hasn't. He sighed, running a hand over his face. ''Yeah, but I wanted to get you inside and settled in first and foremost, when was the last time you visited? six, seven months ago?'' 

My eyes widened as a sudden sense of guilt washed over me. ''I'm sorry, I didn't realise it had been that long''

''You have nothing to be sorry for, you can't help it, you're at university now. I'm glad that you're working so hard for your future''

He reached across the bed and he pulled me into another hug, he always made me feel safe and loved for no matter what happened across the years. Memories of him hugging me as a child came flooding back. When I fell and scraped my knees, when I had a nightmare, when I had to leave for school again. No matter what was thrown my way, a hug from dad would always sent the bad feelings away.

Eventually, I pulled away from him and put a smile on my face. ''Well so long as you have today off let's make the most of it.''