Part 13: Slaughterhouse

The Hollow Shade had carefully watched from a small cleft in the rocks as Zeela approached Ellie and spoke to her.

They had stepped out when Zeela had asked Ellie who she followed.

They also were kind of expecting the orchid mantis to freak out, so they weren't standing within striking range—this was probably the reason she didn't damage their incredibly fragile mask. It can break much more easily than people gave it credit for—but their enormous body successfully blocked the way back to the City of Tears.

They had underestimated how horrifying the image of them in half darkness was.

"Oh my..." Zeela stares at the King for a moment, seeming to just realize who they were.

Ellie waves to the tall figure. "I'm assuming you already know who this is."

"Yes, I— it's just— wow." Zeela was at a loss for words to describe them.

"Well, just for politeness, this is the Hollow Shade. They are the King of Hallownest." Ellie gestures to the enormous armored figure that had slowly, and somehow quietly, approached them, "And this is Zeela, I met her about an hour ago." The short firefly introduces to the tall creature.

The Hollow Shade looks over the mantis carefully, before noding and turning their attention to Ellie.

"I think that means you passed the test." Ellie tells Zeela.

"What?"

"They're much more perceptive than Vessel. You actually probably met the Queen and don't realize you have. She was much more of a public person until she closed off all to her and well..." Ellie looks to the tall armored figure then gestures to them and turns back to Zeela, "This guy happened."

Zeela doesn't seem to be following this conversation.

The Hollow Shade thought of an idea, and began to use their hands to somewhat draw their sister out in the space in front of them.

"Oh!" Zeela realizes, "She was the one Hyrrel met by helping out at the Stagway that day! That explains how she knew to be there."

The Hollow Shade nods.

"How did I not realize that before?"

"You're not the only one." Ellie laughs, "Ironically, I met the wyrm at the library in Dirtmouth and introduced her to Beth a few days before she went into isolation. Both of them had to tell me."

"She wasn't really making a huge effort to hide it." Zeela chuckles.

"She never has." Ellie shakes her head, earning a nod from the Hollow Shade.

"But then..." Zeela looks between the King and the firefly, "You've been learning all you can and passing the information to the royals."

"Yes and no." Ellie says, "Some things even I don't care about. I know things that, in reality, never needed to be spoken of. I just tell them important things."

"Like...?"

"I told them" the small firefly points to the armored shade, "about the attack a few days ago. They prepared by placing the guard in the station. But they and Vessel didn't even know the size of the devastation until the next morning."

The Hollow Shade nods solemnly.

"Then you plan on telling them what Hyrrel told you?" Zeela asks.

"Yep." Ellie nods.

"And I can't really stop you?" Zeela tilts her head.

"You could try. But if you remember the massacre that a mindless soldier could do, and think of what this King, who has the mind of two beings, could do to you." Ellie shrugs.