Chapter 1B: Little Western Mess (Toad's POV)

August 14th, 1984:

Toad and Oliver were enjoying the day running up and down along the coast, getting to view all the wonderful sights and enjoying the sea air. 

In the afternoon, Oliver had to go collect some trucks from the harbour to bring up the line. When Toad was shunted to the rear of the train, he saw a singular truck staring blankly into the distance, mouth agape.

"Mr. Oliver," said Toad, "I think there's something wrong with this coal truck. It's not making noises like all the others."

"Oh don't worry so much Toad!" replied Oliver. "The less these trucks bump us around the faster we can get done with our jobs."

"B-But Mr. Oliver, I think there's something very wrong. This isn't normal!" answered Toad.

When they arrived at the station, Oliver ran around the train to take Toad away for their next delivery. He saw the coal truck, with it's eyes blacked out and the wide open mouth like Toad had described.

"Huh, I guess you were right Toad." said Oliver. "This really doesn't seem right. We should talk to Duck about this when we see him next."

Later that night, Oliver pulled up to the station and was surprised to find Duck at the platform.

"You're not usually out this late Duck. What's happened?" asked Oliver.

"Oh a signalman got me stuck with a goods train at Tidmouth. I didn't get out until 20 minutes ago." replied Duck.

"Mr. Duck," butt in Toad, "But today we've seen a coal truck with strange looking eyes acting very different than normally. We were wondering if you think we should tell The Fat Controller about this." 

"Oh don't worry Toad. I'm sure everything is fine. After all, it didn't get in the way of your work, so why should you be so bothered about this." said Duck.

Toad wasn't satisfied. When he and Oliver returned to the shed, they decided to put it behind them and go to sleep.

August 15th, 1984:

It wasn't until the next morning when Toad noticed something very different. Oliver had been steamed up, hours before he was planned to go out. When his driver arrived, they didn't take any notice to the heat of the firebox being more than usual on an average weekday morning. Throughout the day, Oliver and Toad stayed quite silent. Oliver appeared to be smiling, but Toad couldn't see his face all day. When they passed Duck later on, he could see a clear sign of distress from Toad. 

That evening, Duck had arrived late once again. His goods were longer than usual, due to a mishap that day which had left Duck stranded at Wellsworth.

"Toad," said Duck, "What had you so bothered earlier today."

"It's Mr. Oliver," replied Toad. "He hasn't spoken to me all day. And it seems like he's been smiling an awful lot more than he normally does."

"It doesn't surprise me Toad." answered Duck. "Oliver's eyes have gone all dark. What did you say about that truck yesterday? That it wasn't acting like itself?"

"Yes Mr. Duck!" shouted Toad "If Oliver has those black eyes too, then maybe something terrible has happened!"

"Oh don't worry so much." said Duck. "After all, he hasn't done anythin-"

"Hello Duck. I didn't see you there." said Oliver, in a strange voice.

"M-Mr. Oliver?" asked Toad.

"Hello Toad. I am so glad to be able to see you again. I've been wondering where you've been all day." replied Oliver.

"Oliver. You do know you've been with Toad all day right? Why haven't you spoken to him?" said Duck.

But Oliver didn't respond.

When the pair arrived back at the shed Toad was still very unhappy. When Oliver's driver closed the doors to the shed, and put out the lamp. Toad was scared. He was afraid of Oliver now. He heard a puffing noise coming from in front of him, and a shining bright light filled his vision.

"Come on Toad!" whispered Duck. "We've got to get to Tidmouth Sheds at once. I don't know what's going on but this isn't Oliver!"

"Alright Mr. Duck." replied Toad. "On your lead."

And the two set off through the night towards Tidmouth.