Chapter 5A: Goodbye Brendam, (Arthur's POV)

August 17th, 1984:

"There aren't any other engines on this line, right Edward?" asked Arthur.

"Not that I know of. This branch line is almost as old as me, and the few engines that do come down here can't miss me." replied Edward. "I don't think this could be Trevor. If it's bad coal then he shouldn't change. Jem Cole uses his own personal supply, not ours. Granted, he does buy it from the mainland as well."

"We've got to get out of here." wimpered Ben. "I want to go home."

"If we can line up together, maybe we can make a battering ram and unlock the brakes on the trucks." suggested Edward.

"Good idea." said Arthur.

The three engines lined up along the dockside and charged towards the trucks on the points. To their luck, the trucks derailed instead, freeing the engines as they headed back up towards Lower Suddery.

After passing the scrap yard, the silence between the three engines was too much to bear.

"Where are we going Arthur?" asked Ben.

"Me? You're asking me?" replied Arthur, in shock. "I'm just as afraid as you are. I'm no fit to be a leader!"

"It seems to me that you haven't really figured out what you're good at." said Edward. "Maybe you should take the lead this time, Ben surely believes in you."

"Yea! Come on Arthur. Take us somewhere safe." answered Ben.

"Uhm. I'm not quite sure. Maybe the fishing village on my branch line? They can supply food for our crewmen, and it gives the change to see if other engines are alright." replied Arthur, a bit reluctantly.

The three engines agreed, and they made their way up towards Wellsworth, passing the Vicarage. Edward was in shock when he saw Trevor. His eyes were smooth black and he turned to face the three engines as they passed. Edward vowed to come back and talk to the Vicar later.

Reaching Wellsworth, they found it deserted. No engines or passengers were at the platforms, despite it being a Friday, one of the busiest days of the week. Edward felt concerned. 

"We should stop and rest in the sidings for the evening. We've been moving around all day and we could get worn out if we have to cross the island." suggested Arthur.

The engines followed Arthur's lead, taking to the sidings for a rest.

August 18th, 1984:

Arthur woke up to find Ben and Edward gone. The trucks were derailed and some spilled across the main line. He assumed they headed up towards the Norramby branch line, but he was unsure.

The air around Arthur was silent, nobody to talk to, and nothing to talk to him. He decided to head up towards the Norramby branch line, alone.