Chapter 2B: Tidmouth Tumble (Toad's POV)

August 15th, 1984:

Duck and Toad arrived at Tidmouth very late. It was pitch black outside, with the lights from inside the sheds illuminating the track around them. Duck went to the open birth, taking Toad with him.

Inside the sheds, Gordon, James, and Murdoch were chatting about the day. 

"I passed by Crovan's Gate this afternoon." Gordon said. "Sir Handel was at the sheds instead of working like normal. Apparently, he's gone silent and nobody can make him speak."

"Oh, that's quite strange." answered Murdoch. "I've never had time to stop there, but from what I've heard about him he's normally quite the grump."

"Oh don't worry so much." said James. "He's just trying to annoy engines around him. It's probably nothing serious."

"Maybe, but I-. Oh hello Duck. And Toad." replied Gordon.

"Hello Mr. Gordon." said Toad. "Sorry to burst in, but Mr. Oliver has been acting strange and I don't really feel good around him."

"What's happening? Is he just making foolish jokes?" Laughed James.

"I'm afraid not James," said Duck, "He's gotten some strange black eyes. Toad said he didn't say anything all day until we met at the station."

"Yes that's quite right! Mr. Oliver changed this morning." answered Toad.

"So wait, Gordon, did they say anything else about Sir Handel?" Asked James.

"Well, they said his eyes have changed colour, but didn't go into too much detail." said Gordon.

"Is that why you guys are here? Because Oliver was acting strange?" questioned Murdoch.

"Yes, Murdoch." said Duck. "I'm going to keep Toad with me for as long as possible until things start to improve."

Soon, Henry arrived at the sheds.

"Sorry for being so late everyone. I got caught up at Knapford with something." he said.

"It's alright Henry. As long as you're ok, then it's fine. Have you heard what's going on with some of the engines?" asked Gordon.

"I have. Apparently Sir Handel has black eyes. They chained him up outside of the Skarloey engine sheds because he was moving around." Henry replied.

"So it's not just a coincidence then, Mr. Henry. That's more than one engine with the strange black eyes and movement." Said Toad.

"Are you guys going to stay up all night and talk about this?" asked James. "I'd really like to get some sleep tonight."

"What do you expect Sir Topham Hatt to give you the express tomorrow?" laughed Gordon.

"Maybe he will.." yawned James. "Maybe he just will.

August 16th, 1984:

The next day, Duck and Toad took goods along the loop line. He knew the Twins could handle anything up there, and Oliver should still be working. At Toryreck, they saw a bruised Bill sitting in a siding nearby the goods station. He was smiling and his eyes were glazed over with black. 

"Ben, remember that time we saved all those workmen from the collapse?" he said, with no one to reply.

Duck looked over in confusion and disbelief that another engine had turned like Oliver. He quickly hurried away. 

That night, at Tidmouth Sheds, Duck and Toad entered and saw Gordon was missing from the group. 

"Where's Gordon?" Asked Duck.

James looked over to Duck with fear on his face.

"We don't know."