Chapter 3B: Broken Van (Toad's POV)

August 16th, 1984:

"Mr. Gordon hasn't returned?" asked Toad.

"No, and I haven't seen him since he left for Vicarstown this afternoon." said Henry.

"Last I saw him he was stuck on his hill with Neville in his way. When I was returning he was gone." replied James.

"Where did Neville end up? Do you know?" said Duck.

"Why do you think I would know? I'm not Neville."

"Well, wherever Gordon is, I hope he's ok." finished Murdoch.

The sheds fell silent once again. Everyone was worried, and nobody knew what to say.

August 17th, 1984:

When Toad awoke, a few of the engines were still in the shed. Duck was assigned to take passengers on Thomas' branch line after Toby got into some trouble with trucks. Donald took Toad with him to Duck's branch line to spend some time near the sea air.

"Thank you Mr. Donald for taking me back here, although I'm still worried that Mr. Oliver won't be back to normal." said Toad.

"Aye, don't worry ya wee brakevan. Oliver will be as right as rain once again, alright?" replied Donald. 

Douglas and Oliver were up near Arlesburgh when they arrived. Oliver hadn't changed at all like Donald had said, and even worse, Douglas had now gained the black eyes. Toad broke down in tears when he saw his two greatest friends changed into these hollow shells of who they once were.

"Hello Donald. Hello Toad." said Oliver. "It's nice to have you here again. We've missed you."

"Mr. Oliver, Mr. Douglas. What's going on?" asked Toad.

"We're just helping to make the railway a better place that's all." replied Douglas, as he shunted trucks behind Donald to block them in.

"Aye, Douggie! Stop doin that!" yelled Donald. "This isn't very safe if you're helping the railway."

"It's ok, The Fat Controller said we could do this." answered Oliver. "Don't worry."

Donald was very frightened. Toad had his brakes hard on and he was blinded by his tears. Donald tried to back out, but Toad's brakes prevented him from leaving.

"I'm sorry Mr. Oliver. This is all my fault." cried Toad.

"Toad! Release yer brakes!" yelled Donald.

"But what about Mr. Oliver!" wimpered Toad. "We can't just leave him."

"If we don't get out of 'ere, we're probably in bigger trouble than him!" answered Donald.

Toad released his brakes and Donald plowed through the trucks, knocking Douglas back and startling Oliver as well. 

"Wait Donald. Come back." said Oliver calmly.

Donald didn't go back. He didn't stop running until he reached Tidmouth. The platform was deserted, and the yard was empty. There was not an engine or truck in sight. Donald quietly filled up on more coal at the hopper nearby the station. 

"I'm very sorry Toad. I'm gonna have to leave you at the yard for now. I'll put you behind the station where you can't be seen." said Donald. "I have to go now."

"Bye Mr. Donald. Good Luck." whispered Toad, still crying after seeing Oliver and Douglas turn into his worst fears.