Chapter 6: The Cavalcade (Arthur's POV)

August 18th, 1984:

Arthur passed through Maron station quietly. There were no signs of life anywhere, and the eerie presence was surrounding him. He passed by Neville again, he wasn't as badly bruised up as Gordon had said, but he was stuck on the line behind some derailed express coaches.

Further up the line, Arthur saw Cronk up ahead. The station was deserted as well, with many derailed coaches.

"Help.. Anyone.." called a voice from behind the mess.

Arthur's driver quickly hopped out of the cab and ran over to the voice.

It was BoCo! He had is front bogie derail after he had crashed into the derailed trucks. Further behind him was one of the Iron twins, his driver couldn't tell which.

"Who are you?" Asked BoCo. "Are you here to help me?"

"BoCo! It's me! Arthur!" he cried. "We don't have a crane so we'll make do with what we have."

"Thank you." coughed BoCo. His fuel tank was leaking badly, and he was heavily damaged due to the crash.

Eventually, Arthur managed to pull BoCo away from the station and onto the main line.

"Did you see or hear anyone else?" asked Arthur.

"I heard a couple of engines. Four or five of them I think. I'm not sure who, but it's unlikely they got past Crovan's Gate." replied BoCo.

BoCo was in no condition to be able to run with Arthur, so he was pushed all the way to Balladrine where Arthur saw a little green pannier tank in a siding facing away from them.

"Hello? Is everything ok here?" he called out.

The engine gave no reply.

Arthur saw trucks laying in a pile across the line. Good had fallen out and made the clean up a huge hassle. He told his driver to keep on moving.

"We'll come back for you later. Please stay safe!" he yelled back, not seeing Duck's face had a constant smile as well.

"Uhh, Arthur, maybe you should be careful at who you're talking to." BoCo pleaded. "He's in that constant smile, like so many other engines."

"BoCo, unrelated topic, but why did you derail at Cronk? You're usually a sensible engine, at least that's what I've heard." said Arthur.

"It was Salty. He changed too. I think the engines with the black eyes have some goal of completely derailing or trapping every engine on the railway." answered BoCo.

"Hopefully none of us change." replied Arthur.

The pair neared Kellsthorpe Road, where they decided to head up the line. There was some Coal and Water at the cement works where Fergus worked. They got a large supply of fresh coal from a personal mine separate from the goods train BoCo takes. The two were surprised to find Fergus still there. He had been left alone in the shed while the workers went away for the weekend, and had no idea what was going on around the railway.

"Two more engines? It's a Saturday, nobody ever comes in on a Saturday." questioned Fergus.

"We're just here for some coal and water. Sorry if that's a bother." replied Arthur.

"It's no problem. It's strange you're here, normally I'm the only one down this line. Is something going on?" asked Fergus.

"Well you see," said BoCo, "engines are changing and nobody knows the real problem."

"We've been hurt and attacked by them so they're a danger to the railway." finished Arthur.

"I see. Well there's no use dawdling, get along with your coal and water." said Fergus.

"Aren't you going to come with us, you know, to at least be safe?" asked Arthur.

A loud whistle sounded from over the hill, startling everyone in the cement works.

"Who said I wasn't going with you." Fergus said. "Come on, let's get that coal and be on our way to wherever we're going."

The trio of engines rushed off of the line and headed up towards Crovan's Gate, fearing what could be behind them.

Fergus was more quiet than one would usually think, the looming threat of engines trying to harm them keeping his more strict side at bay. Arthur and BoCo wouldn't know this, the little traction engine was only one of the many engines across the island they had never met before.

Arthur could hear sobbing at Crovan's Gate. The voice sounded deep, unlike Edward or Ben.

It was Gordon, staying in the works shed near the Skarloey railway. He was bawling his eyes out after having to ditch the express to save himself and his crew. Many people had died due to the express was left behind at Cronk where BoCo had crashed.

"Gordon? Why are you here? Shouldn't you be on the eastern side of the island?" asked BoCo.

"I should be," replied Gordon, but last night I was almost derailed by so many engines. Duck and Salty to name a few."

"Well that's one more friendly face to see." said Arthur. "Are any of the Skarloey engines ok?"

"Sir Handel broke the chain holding him to the shed." replied Gordon. "Apparently, some of the engines headed up to the old Mid-Sodor railway and derailed. And last I heard Duncan was with Rheneas near the quarry. Oh and Peter Sam is actually here with me in the shed."

On the line next to Gordon, sat Peter Sam. He was stuck inside the sheds facing away from the door and was not making any sound.

"I think they locked him in here to stop him from escaping and it worked." finished Gordon.

"So as far as you know, the Skarloey Railway is dead?" asked Fergus.

"Positive. Maybe the coaches and residents are fine but all the engines have gone." said Gordon.

"Well, let's get you out of there. We're almost to our destination so bringing one more engine shouldn't be a problem." Arthur said.

"Where are we going anyways?" questioned Fergus.

"My branch line. As far as I know it's completely isolated from the rest of the island and our crews can live there just fine." replied Arthur.

Gordon was coupled up behind Arthur and the cavalcade set off for their final destination.