Chapter 4B: A Surprise For Percy (Toad's POV)

August 17th, 1984:

Toad was in the siding for a long time. The yards were silent all day, and the only thing left to himself were his own thoughts. He couldn't get the sight of Oliver and Douglas transforming and trying to capture them out of his mind. Late into the evening, he heard an engine puff up to the yard. It was Duck, who had silently arrived. He took Toad away without saying a word, and brought him to Tidmouth Sheds.

Other engines were there as well, chatting quietly about their day. Gordon was nowhere to be found, while Percy was pretending to be asleep. Murdoch was frightened, while James and Henry were bickering about who was to take the express.

"I-I saw something out on that line. I'm telling you." Murdoch said frantically. There was a diesel derailed on the line, missing his eyes like others, and the ironworks were deserted."

"You're always seeing things Murdoch," replied James, "When will you know not to take the welsh coal again."

"James, Murdoch is being serious here," yelled Henry, "We know things are happening around here and this is very dangerous!"

"Yea right. Anyways, you've been out there a long time Toad. How was it out there alone, without your best friends, your thoughts to keep you occupied." joked James,

But Toad didn't reply. He was still silent, with tears falling onto the rails below him.

"I think we better leave Toad alone, James." said Duck. "He is clearly distre-"

Suddenly, a whistle sounded from outside of the sheds, waking Percy from his supposed slumber.

"Thomas! I'm in here Thomas! I was so worried about you!" he exclaimed.

But Thomas didn't reply. His puffing slowed and the shed door in front of Percy banged. Soon enough, the weak wooden doors couldn't hold themselves against the weight of Thomas and burst open, and Percy's gaping smile fell. Thomas had black eyes just like all the other engines on Sodor that had changed. He was alone, no driver or fireman to man his cab. It was a wonder how he managed to get to the sheds on his own.

Percy screamed in terror. He tried to rush backwards but slammed into the buffers and removed the wooden supports from the ground, taking off his rear wheels. The other engines in the shed stared over at Thomas with their eyes wide open, too frightened to move.

Just as quickly as Thomas had arrived, a mysterious figure hopped off the footplate near his side tanks, and coupled Thomas to Percy. And quickly, Percy was whisked away with Thomas to somewhere unknown.

The engines didn't have anything to say to each other. They were just scared about the sight of an engine being taken away by one of them. They didn't know what to do.

Toad screamed at Duck, breaking the silence. "Mr. Duck! Why would you let one of them get a fellow engine and take them away!"

Duck didn't know what to say. Tidmouth Sheds had one of the first normal engines taken away.