||Chapter Six||

You and Colt had left the apartment to go get a late breakfast together. Wrapped up in coats and scarfs, the two of you walked through the streets to find somewhere of your liking to eat at.

The wind carried your hair and brightly coloured leaves off of trees in the opposite direction of which you were travelling.

"Hey how about there?" Colt pointed across the road to a little cafe. It was a small building made of bricks and had ivy creeping its way along. You nodded with a smile and hooked your arm around his just like you used to when you were younger and unaware of your feelings.

You hoped your blush could be mistaken for the cold.

He opened the door and held it open for you, stepping inside behind you as a waiter popped up with an incredibly forced smile.

"Table for two? Right over here please," he ushered you briskly, causing you and Colt to exchange looks and snickers. As you two sat down the waiter continued his practiced monologue.

"Here are the menus and when you're ready to order, let me know." Before whisking off.

"Uh well.." you trailed off, laughter threatening to break from your chest. The second you made eye contact with Colt, it did.

It took the two of you a good minute or two to calm down.

"It wasn't even that funny but he just looks so unhappy." Colt shook his head, trying to get the tears out.

"Oh man... he seemed so unpleasant and sour." You murmured. Suddenly a waitress popped up with a more polite and natural smile.

"Hi! Can I get you anything?" She asked pulling out her little note pad.

"Hello, can I get a chocolate milkshake and the waffles?" Colt said with a smile. She nodded before murmuring to herself as she scribbled it down. She turned to you and tapped her pen expectantly. Not wanting to try anything new today, you got what you enjoyed most for breakfast.

There wasn't much small talk between you and Colt as you waited for your food. It wasn't an awkward silence but rather a pleasant one. One that reassured you that the two of you were able to be comfortable with each other without needed to converse the whole time.

The food came about ten minutes later, and the two of you dug in without hesitation. As you were eating, your phone rang. Your hands occupied, you asked Colt to read out who it was.

"It's your mom." He said quietly, eyes flickering from the phone to your face to gauge your reaction. Stoic as ever you replied with a simple "Leave it."

"Are you going home for Thanksgiving?" Colt asked a few minutes later. You sighed and rolled your eyes.

"I don't know. I don't want to see Grisha. I don't mind Carla, she's sweet but that man is just-ugh." You made obscure gestures with your hands to which Colt looked at with an amused smile.

"What about your brothers? I know Zeke would like to see you." He continued to push the subject.

"What does he talk about me at work? If he wanted to see me, he could call me or stop by."

"You've come up in conversations." He looked away with slightly flushed cheeks. "But uh, he was a little bit worried that he was on your bad side or something and didn't want to risk pissing you off by contacting you."

You rolled your eyes again. "Bull crap. He's just a sorry excuse for a brother. Useless. Probably sucking up to his father in the hopes he'll play catch with him. It's not my fault Eren's the favourite kid."

Colt looked at you sympathetically. "I'm sorry." He murmured. You shook your head with a small almost sarcastic smile.

"Nah it's okay. I mean Zeke is only our half brother but Carla is nice enough to him. I don't even think my father knew I existed when I was younger. He was always with Eren or working. Or in the basement." Your wrinkled your nose with distaste as you spoke about your father.

"I think you should go. Maybe try and reconnect with them." Colt suggested to which you scoffed at before looking at the sincerity in his eyes and your expression softened.

"Maybe I will. What are you and Falco doing for thanksgiving?" You changed the subject. He hummed in thought for a moment.

"I think the two of us were just going to hang out. My parents are away travelling at that time so it'll just be the two of us." Colt replied with a small smile.

"Huh. No I'm making you come with me then. Falco too. I'll tell my mom." You said quickly, not allowing him a chance to argue as you picked up the phone and called her back.

"Hey mom."

"Oh love! I've been trying to get in contact with you for ages! How are you?" She sounded genuinely concerned.

"Yeah I'm fine. How are you?" You replied shortly.

"I'm alright! Your father hasn't been very busy with work so we've been spending a lot of time together."

"That's great mom." Your tone was flat and uninterested. Carla could tell and she immediately changed topics.

"So are you coming home for thanksgiving?" She asked excitedly.

"Yeah. I suppose I will. Colt and Falco are joining us too." You responded, at you inspected your nails. The sound of your mother clapping her hands excitedly could be heard through the phone.

"Oh that'd be wonderful! I can't believe you're still in touch with him! Mikasa is coming over too so it'll be a nice big dinner." Your eyes widened and you suddenly looked interested in the conversation.

"Mikasa? The chick that used to like Eren?" You asked incredulously. Your mother squealed excitedly.

"Oh my gosh yes!!! They're so cute and perfect for each other. I won't tell anyone you're coming so it's a surprise. But why are you bringing Colt? Oh!" She gasped before whispering into the phone. "Are you two finally dating?"

You rolled your eyes. "No mom. We're just good friends." You said making eye contact with Colt. Your cheeks warmed up at his expression which seemed to be slightly confused.

"Oh well. You two have always liked each other for as long as I can remember. You'd make a good couple. Anyways, it was really nice to talk to you (Y/n)! Please return my calls from now on and respond to my texts." She added with an almost threatening tone.

"Right. Thanks mom. Bye." You said before hanging up, not giving her the chance to speak.

"Well this is gonna be an interesting thanksgiving."