||Chapter Eight||

Tuesday was just as uneventful as Monday.

Wednesday was a little different.

You awoke to your phone ringing obnoxiously in your ear at two am. You grumbled and made empty threats to kill whoever dared disturb your slumber. Without looking, you picked it up and growled out a hostile "Hello" which was understandable for someone who's sleep had been interrupted at two in the morning.

"Jeez you sound like a angry gremlin (Y/n). Have you been hanging out with short stack too much?" Your older brother's voice teased through the phone and you hung up instantly and went back to bed.

Two minutes later it rung again and you declined the call.

He didn't call you back until six am, when you were up and drinking your coffee, balancing your phone between your legs.

You huffed and accepted the call, putting it on speakerphone so you could enjoy your coffee.

"Hey my favourite monkey! How are y-" He started only to be cut off.

"What the hell do you want Zeke?" Your voice was hostile and pissed.

"Brr, so cold sister. Be careful or I might piss my pants." He chuckled only to be met with silence. He cleared his throat and continued. "So how have you been?"

"Why are you calling Zeke? It's been two years." You replied, an edge to your voice. You heard your brother sigh and papers rustling.

"You're right. Sorry." You heard the click of a lighter and the sharp inhale of someone smoking. "I saw Eren yesterday. It was only then that I realized we have no idea what's going on in each other's lives. And you and I live in the same city." He explained before taking another hit of his cigarette. You clicked your tongue.

"How is he?" You ask eventually.

"He's well. His hair is still long but he got rid of that horrible homeless man goatee." Zeke said with a chuckle to which you returned, amused by the memory of your younger brother looking like someone off the streets. "He looks a lot like dad now." He added.

This made both of you go quiet. It was common knowledge that Carla was Zeke's stepmother, but she was your blood mother. Grisha wasn't your blood father however.

We didn't talk about that.

Despite you not being related by blood to Zeke, the two of you were always quite close. Eren was often too busy being coddled by Grisha so you didn't hang out with him very often.

"He used to look a lot like mom." You murmured and you heard a noise of agreement from the other line. It went silent again, neither person knowing what they should say.

"So... wanna go get dinner together tonight?" Zeke asked after a very awkward silence.

"No."
"Oh. Why?"
"I have work."

"Oh you still work as a bartender?" He asked.
"I own my own bar."
"Wait is that the one that Colt goes to a lot?"

You felt yourself tense and blush at the name.
"Yeah. I see him a bit." You forced your voice to remain normal as you spoke. Zeke made a noise of interest before speaking up.

"Cool. So does lunch work for you?"

"Pick me up at ten."

"See you then sister."

The call ended and you ruffled your hair with one hand and suppressed a yawn with the other. It was only seven so you had time to relax and get ready.

He knocked at your door at exactly 9:56am.

"(Y/n)! I'm here. Hurry up." He shouted. You rolled your eyes from where you were seated on the couch.

"You're too early, go away." You replied, continuing to scroll down Instagram. You payed no mind to the angry and impatient noises your brother was making. At 9:59 you got up, grabbed your bag and put on your shoes and opened the door at 10am exactly.

"God I hate you."

"The feeling is mutual monkey."
.
.
.
"So where are we going for lunch?" He asked, driving along the streets. You shrugged, eyes not leaving your phone.

"(Y/n). Where do you want to go?" He asked again. You sighed and rolled your eyes.

"Japanese."

The drive was silent as you left your phone alone to stare out the window, aware of the occasional glances Zeke threw at you.

"What?" You asked eventually, fed up with his annoying antics to try and get you to talk first.

"Nothing. How are you?" He asked.

"I'm hanging out with my least favourite brother. I'm not the best." You replied, making his eye twitch. "Shouldn't you be at work?" You asked, not really curious but finding the need to fill the silence.

"I took a day off. I have Colt filling in for me." He answered.

"Okay."
.
.
.

You pushed your food around with your chopsticks as you stared at your brother. He was on the phone with Colt talking about something work-related.

And yes you were trying to shield your blush from view. He raised an eyebrow at your flushed cheeks but thankfully didn't push it. You tuned into the end of the conversation out of boredom.

"Colt I needed that done by yesterday."

"I know but-"

"No buts. Get it done." Zeke hung up with a sigh.

"You're kinda rude." You stated, not bothered to be polite.

"I'm paying for your food so watch it." He retorted to which you met with a shrug.

"I'm just saying you should be nicer to your employees. Colt looks up to you a lot." You said, taking a bite of your food. Zeke stared at you before pinching the bridge of his nose and sighing.

"I know. I'm just stressed with everything." You nodded with understanding.

"Yeah. You should stop by for drinks one day." You offered. "Relieve stress, you know?" Zeke laughed and nodded.

"It seems that you don't hate me very much. I'll keep that in mind." He said, smiling genuinely.

You rolled your eyes before returning his smile.

"Roll your eyes too much and you'll loose them in the back of your head."