Unfated Resurrection

Where am I?

I don't know.

Right now I'm standing among a veil of unending darkness, stretching as far as my eyes can see.

And I'm not even standing, I'm floating.

My destination? I don't know. Where I'm going I have not the ability to control.

I can feel nothing on my skin.

It's not cold or hot.

Nor it's wet or dry.

I can't feel even my arms or legs.

I can hear nothing but absolute silence.

Nor see anything but the eternal void.

"Am I dead?" I whisper gently. So I can still speak.

"Is this the afterlife?"

I am confused as to why I'm here.

How did I get here?

Was I killed?

If so, by who, or what?

I close my eyes and still my thoughts. Concentrating my mind as I try to reignite my memories.

And like a raging river, my memories start to flow back into my mind.

I then immediately remembered.

The reason why I'm here.

" Elaa..." I whisper again.

The name of my precious little sister.

The little cheeky troublemaker that always skips work and sneaks out into the woods to play. The little playful one that always cause troubles in the village. Yet when confronted by the consequences of her mischievous behaviour she curls up behind me like a little lost kitten. The one that always seeks to sleep with me whenever she has a nightmare, with a teary and terrified look on her face. The one that follows me everywhere and tries to imitate whatever I do.

Along with my parents, she is one of the post important people in my life.

I do not want to loose another one of my beloved family member. Loosing Neola was too much for me at that time. I just didn't want to witness another one get taken away from me. Not father, not mother and especially, not Elaa.

She is such a pure young cheerful girl. She loves to explore, loves to hear tales from travelers or adventurers, loves mother's cooking and of course, loves me. She also loves...causing troubles to our neighbors, too. Not a single family in this village whose members have yet to be pranked by her shenanigans. She dreams to one day leave the village and explore the outside world, just like many other countryside kids. To be honest, I myself do want to explore the world, too, albeit just a bit.

And when the sight of her standing in front of that giant b'ar greeted my eyes, the first train of thought that flow ed into my mind was on how to separate it from her. She has her entire future ahead of her. She will live, and grow up. She will travel the world. She will meet her destined half and have a family, have children. And I was not going to let that beast take it away from her. So I did what must be done.

It is a shame that I can not live my life to the fullest and fulfill my dream. Unlike my little sister, I wish to serve as a clergy sister in the Church of the Light. I want to heal and ease people's pain. Lifting them from their suffering and agony. I want to save people. I don't want the common folks to get hurt or die, like my brother did. I guess that's also why I am here.

I am surprised that it didn't feel painful at all. That devastating strike to the back must have been what brought me here.

I was hoping to distract it long enough for her to run away.