Chapter Fifteen ~ Enzo

When he had heard about Dred's death, he knew that it was his fault. He had asked about why she was with Pandora, and Kiara had told him that she was being held for leverage; being used as a trap to lure her in. She did this because she knew that Enzo wouldn't come through with his side of the deal; she knew that she would need some kind of reinforcement, and now Kallee was dead. It was his fault, because he wasn't reliable enough to turn Kiara in himself. Of course, he couldn't, but it was basically one woman's life or another's, and he didn't know either very well. It was inevitable for either to go, but did he have to waste his freedom to the cause of one woman that could have done better off without him anyway?

He stood off the edge of the road, keeping a look out while Rye and Kiara discussed together where they were going and what they were planning on doing to help her out. Don't get him wrong; Enzo would love to give a helping hand wherever it was needed, so long as it got him out of the palace, but was this really going to aid anyone? Someone will be after Kiara, and he knew that there was something going on between her and Rye although it was none of his business. Rye would get attached, someone would come for Kiara and he would get in the way. He would die, she would die and Enzo would be caught up in the middle and will probably die aswell. Then, Pandora would get what she really wanted but she will have killed everyone by then that no one will ever know what she wanted in the first place. In reality, it would all be over soon, so Enzo just had to do his best in making sure it ended quickly.

"She is still a little numb from Pandora," Rye told him as he approached, but Enzo didn't turn his head.

"We are lucky we got those bandits before they got us," Enzo murmured, "or we would not have found Kiara in time. How long until she blacks out?" Rye glanced at the sky.

"Uh," he murmured, "about seven hours. We should cover as much ground until eight as we can, and then we can use her horse to carry her in the night. Unless we want to stop for twelve hours; we are heading to Hagon, south-east of Montilo and exactly south of Crinya. It will be a few days-worth of travelling, but it will be worth it. They have extremely good protection from all outsiders."

"Rye, we are outsiders," Enzo reminded him, but Rye shook his head.

"Not if we are with the Prince of Frate," he replied, and Enzo rolled his eyes.

"So what about Kiara?" he changed the subject. "How will we know when Pandora stops picking on her?"

Rye sighed, shooting a glance over his shoulder. "We will not," he admitted in that thick, foreign accent of his. "We just need to keep away from Pandora as long as we can in prevention of whatever it is she wants with Kiara. Hopefully, there will be a deadline."

"A deadline for what, exactly?" Enzo murmured, dropping the tone of his voice slightly. "We do not even know what she is planning. We cannot jump to conclusions."

"Maybe she does not just want to kill the King, then," Rye suggested quietly. "She wants Kiara back in her palace in Montilo, right? That is certainly not where the King will be by the time she gets there. If she even gets there at all."

Enzo furrowed his eyebrows then sighed.

"Look," he said, "can we not worry about this now? We will just hit the road now, head for Hagon and see where that takes us from there. Agreed?"

Rye nodded his head and turned around again, leaving his childhood friend to stand guard while he went over to Kiara to talk and sort things out.

When everyone was aware of what was happening, they hit the road immediately without hesitation. They needed to move as quickly as possible before sundown, when Kiara would black out again. After that, they would have to see what would happen themselves.