Chapter One ~ Kiara

Kiara opened her eyes groggily and sat up, rubbing her eyes before a long and tiresome yawn made its way from her mouth. Looking around as she arched her back backwards in order to stretch it, Kiara remembered where she was and sighed deeply. She had been dreaming that she was dining with the Royals in Crinya, and that she could never have not-enough. Then she woke up and realised what, exactly? Well, for starters, she was not in Crinya. She was lying in her little hideout in Montilo, off the edge of the city. There were plenty of old, sandy and worn places that had long since been abandoned, so as soon as Kiara's parents were killed, she fled here and made her home in one of the worn-down shops in the sand. No one came out here anymore, which was why Kiara had to sneak back to her home at night so no one saw her. People never came looking, though, even if they did see her. Vampires were not nosy. Nonsept, however, would kill you if they got a single scent of you. No Vampire should ever see a Nonsept in their lives, but now that the evil Pandora had captured one, they were getting more frequent. If Pandora thought that anyone was being suspicious, they would set a Nonsept onto their scent and that person would never be let out of sight after that.

Not even when they needed a toilet.

But luckily, Kiara never got into trouble with anyone, and no one even looked twice at her. She had a condition, you see, and people figured that when they found out about her, carrying a burden like handling her condition themselves was something they didn't want to worry about if they became friends with her. She was alone all the time, but it didn't bother her as much as most people thought it did. This mainly was to do with the fact that every twelve hours, Kiara blacked out. Actually, it was more like sleeping, but it couldn't be controlled. She would be up and running from eight o'clock in the morning until eight o'clock in the evening, and as soon as that clock hit eight, she would be either sleeping like a rock or waking up from a twelve hour 'sleep'. As said before, it couldn't be controlled. And even if someone were to come along and scream in her ear, her body and mind would be paralysed until it was eight the following morning.

Exactly eight.

Kiara sighed as she got used to her bearings and rose to her feet shakily. Wearing a pair of loose fabric pants with a white shirt that hung off her body, Kiara stepped out of the sandy concaved hole she had made in the wall of this abandoned shop to provide her sleeping space. The rest of the shop had tables made from hardened sand that had partly crumbled away from erosion over time, so Kiara moved through those and came to the entrance to her home, rubbing her eyes at the sudden light. After this, she stepped out and found her throat feeling parched and dry. She didn't like that feeling at all. It meant that she had to feed, and this meant that she had to shop for her food.

Which meant talking. To Vampires. She didn't do this often, despite the fact that she was a Vampire herself. She didn't get out much and she hardly knew how the other Vampires in Frate functioned anymore.

She began to walk, her feet covered in the only pair of black leather boots she owned as footwear, and she walked down the dusty, sandy road towards the centre of the city, where her hunger was to be clenched. She wasn't used to being around people because she usually stayed home. The only reason she was going out now was because apparently ten hours ago, the man that delivered the blood around this part of Montilo had been taken by Pandora and killed. He was a nice man, actually; his name was Caelian and he was an old Vampire whose years were almost over. His time was coming to an end anyway, but to die by the hand of someone like Pandora is just... cruel. He didn't deserve that. What had he done wrong, anyway? He was the sweetest Vampire Kiara had ever met and now he was gone. Just like that. It just proves how much of an evil, sick person Pandora was. And Kiara hadn't even seen her before.

She trudged along the road full of rocks with her long, silky brown hair hanging over her shoulders loosely as her dull, dark red eyes stayed downcast to the ground. She passed no one, and even if someone did happen to walk by, they would move in silence, passing with their heads down to the ground they walked upon.