Chapter Twenty Two ~ Rye

Rye was getting sick of waiting. It had been too long, and he didn't know the last time he had seen the sun. But then again, he wondered if this was what it was like for Kiara. She had never, in her whole lifetime, seen the night sky before. Never. She had always fallen asleep right at sunset, and had always woken up right at sunrise. Except, the only difference was that this had happened to her for her whole life. And she couldn't get out of it, ever.

He didn't know what was going on with him; he had feelings for Kiara. A girl that had, coincidentally, appeared at his door one random day and was now much more than just a girl to him. He wanted the day to go to plan, so that Pandora would stop harassing everyone and so Kiara could do whatever the hell she wanted to without having to be weary of Pandora. It would be the best thing, but it only had to happen now.

Only, he was nervous about what Kiara had been hiding from them. What could possibly be that bad for Kiara not to mention to the only people in her life? Nothing that Rye could possibly think of for a lie seemed bad to him. Maybe Pandora was just trying to provoke him and Enzo; he wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

And then there was the matter of Pandora's leg. Pandora had a slight limp to it that made Rye frown. If the woman was immortal, didn't that mean she was immune to pain, as well? Because pain was the trigger of death? Nothing was making sense to him, but Rye knew it wouldn't be long until everything did.

And then he would regret wanting to know in the first place.

"How much longer already?" Rye called lazily, slouched across the step to the bone-throne.

"A few minutes!" Pandora squealed excitedly, and Rye lifted his head instantly.

"Why did you not say anything?" he demanded," but Pandora smirked.

"You did not ask," she called back, kneeling in front of Kiara. Minutes away from eight in the morning, Rye was feeling edgy. What was going to happen when Kiara woke? Why was she so excited? Was it that she hadn't actually met Kiara before? Rye had no idea.

And then Kiara began to stir, just as Pandora closed her eyes, swaying gently from side to side. She clasped her hands onto Kiara's, and then she flinched as Kiara got closer and closer to waking. Then there was a shrill, high-pitched whining sound that had Rye on his knees with his hands over his ears in a matter of seconds. It was loud and rang throughout his ears violently. He didn't know what was going on, but the light beneath his eyelids flashed and got brighter and brighter as the sound became louder and louder until finally... It stopped.

Rye opened one eye cautiously, slowly unclasping his hands from his ears. They still rang loudly, but it was just because it was so loud that his mind thought it was still going. When the ringing died down completely and Rye was standing with a frown on his face, he saw Kiara beginning to sit up, and Pandora was still kneeling, her eyes closed. Kiara groaned and her right arm slipped, but just as Rye moved forward to help her to her feet, Pandora's eyes snapped open and she glared at Rye with her eyes a full and complete black colour; her pupils, irises and scleras were undeniably black. There was not a hint of white or red to be seen anymore.

"To not touch her until she is aware of herself," she muttered, her voice still very much the same. "It will affect us both."

Rye stared at Pandora as Enzo let out a surprised curse, but Rye backed away until he was standing beside Enzo. That was not normal; no one had black eyes. Not even the Gods; it was a demonic sign. Why were Pandora's eyes fully black?

Kiara managed to stand shakily, rubbing her eyes before letting out a light yawn. She then blinked back her eyelids and turned her head, facing the boys as she did so. Rye bit back a curse as he saw her face.