21. Tell Me Why

She tried to avoid going back to him, but Athena needed her back. Everything she needed was in there. It was once again already dark outside, lampposts going on again. Slowly putting her coat back on. Strudding to the door, she stopped by the mirror that was hanging there. To take a look at herself. Who was standing there? She didn't know herself. That was a question that was far from answered.

When she arrived she parked a street further from his place, like the last time. Athena stayed in the car for awhile completely zoned out. Deeply sighed and finally gathered the courage to go. Slowly walking with her hands in her pockets she strudded to his house. His neighbourhood was quite fancy. A lot of big houses. Here and there were still a couple lights on, some watching tv, some doing other stuff. When Alex's house began to come insight she decided to lit up a cigarette. Athena was quite a stress smoker actually. When she found herself in stressful situations, a wiff of tobacco would set her nerves at ease.

When she arrived at his doorstep she let the cigarette emerge with the ground, took a deep sigh and knocked. Neither of them ever rung the bell, always knocked. It was like an identifying system for them. When someone knocked at the door it would be most definitely one another.

"Oi hello love" Alex smiled lovely "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Um I forgot me bag" Athena smiled back "Sorey I'd have to leave so urgently, i was going to meet with someone and he was waiting there for already twenty minutes and I couldn't let him wait any longer"

"Don't let me wait any longer" Alex responded back

"Wh- what? What do ya mea-" Athena was cut off by Alex's sudden action of leaning back in to her. He kissed her again. It was just as magical as the first time. There was a small explosion every time they kissed. A heavenly sensation that was indescribable. When withdrawn from it, they lost each other once again in each other eyes, searching for an answer they needed.

"I- uh here is yer bag" Alex stuttered

"Thank ya" Athena spoke "Um it's getting late so I'll better get going I think"

"See ya friday then" Alex smiled "Bye"

Athena turned around and when back to her car, but have way there something suddenly sprung. It was an impulsive decision, but she ran back to Alex in his arms and repeated the events from the night before.

Over the course of the week, Alex and Athena had been secretly hooking up. They'd always be sneaking around. Sometimes Alex would forgot there were people coming over, and then she'd had to hide everywhere. Jamie and Nick had their suspicions, but they didn't mention anything.

It was friday, in the afternoon, slowly becoming night. Time to leave to Matt's. Athena didn't want to come empty handed, so she brought a bottle of Tequila. Today was a very grey day, not much colour. Athena would do anything to stop her mind from thinking so much about every little thing that went wrong or could go wrong. It was the hardest thing, even impossible. But there was not much to do about, when she said she wouldn't think about something, her mind would go straight to it.

When Athena arrived she already saw couple familiar cars sitting at the driveway. Matt had said that the side door was going to be unlocked so everyone could let themselves in. The entrance was very quiet, you couldn't hear when somebody came in. She could already hear some laughter. The boys were already talking. The other girls all couldn't come because of separate things, so Athena would be the only one there.

When coming closer she could suddenly hear her name was mentioned in the conversation, she tried with all her energy to shrug it off, but that was rather impossible. So she eavesdropped a little.

"So Alex, what's going on between you and Athena?" Matt asked curiously

"U- um no- thing, not much" he struggled "Why'd ya ask?"

"Why?" the boys mocked in unison

"Because we can see what's going on" Jamie continued "Ye've got feelings for her, and I think there's summat going on between ya two"

"W- what? No? Why?" Alex asked "Feelings? For Athena? Never, she's me bestfriend, and nothing more. Nothing is happening between us and will never" he lied

When hearing that, something in Athena died a bit. Like a rose of life, that was slowly loosing its floral petals. She'd finally found the courage to ask how things were now between the two, and then Alex said something like that. She thought something real could happen, and she thought Alex felt the same way, but it happend that she thought it all wrong. After giving it so much thought, barely sleeping, but she was all wrong.

Athena waited a couple minutes and then went in. Smiling like nothing had happend. Normally when they'd meet up she would give Alex a look and he would know what was going on, but now she didn't even look that way. She has had enough. Laughing and joking around with everyone but Alex. Sometimes she would steal a glance and she'd see he's confused yet disappointed face.

Athena went outside for a bit. Alex took this as a chance to ask her what was wrong, so he followed. There was not much night scenery as there usually was. The clouds covering the moon. Blowing the smoke out as she heard him come. Trying so hard to not look at him.

"Ey, what's wrong?" Alex asked "Ye've been so quiet and didn't even talk to me"

"I don't know? Maybe think twice before you say summat" she warned, threw her cigarette away and went back inside.

Alex was left outside rather confused, deeply in thought. He hadn't thought of the fact that she heard his lies.