Chapter 2: "A home with a family waiting"

Alchemy, the science of understanding matter. Alchemy is not an all powerful art, to obtain something; something of equal value must be given.

This is Alchemy’s first law of equivalent exchange.

However, there is a taboo amongst alchemist; human transmutation.

You must understand that something cannot be created from nothing.

My sister and I live by this rule every day, as we searched high and low, following almost entirely in Edward and Alphonse Eric’s footsteps. We worked hard, and put up with Uncle Mustang’s teachings. Both my sister and I became the soldier’s that central ordered us to be. Ally was the bookworm, and spent night and day with her nose in books. I knew all along she was looking for a way to bring our brother back. The Elric brother’s mistake taught us that human transmutation was strictly out of the question.

I on the other hand, worked to become a strong alchemist. I studied fire alchemy like my uncle and my mother. My sister and I were given the title of state alchemist, and swore to only use alchemy when it was needed to save our lives. We would never harm another human even if it meant sacrificing our own lives.

“Ella wake up!” I jolted awake jumping into the air with my fingers ready to make a spark. Ally stood with her arms crossed “you fell asleep on Winry’s couch” I rubbed my eyes yawning “so? Are they here yet?”

She shook her head “it’s almost morning; I guess we should go ahead and leave.” She sighed sadly shaking her head; she began pacing back and forth thinking. If she’s pacing she’s PISSED. This isn’t good.

I stood up listening to the soothing click of my auto mail leg hitting the wood floors. I pulled my state alchemist watch out of my pocket clicking it open. She’s right; we had only two hours until the sun should be up. Damn, out of all days this had to be the one day that the brothers chose not to show up.

“Ally… we’ll come back some other time, I promise” her eyes became to fill with tears but she quickly whipped them away “yeah, sure. Let’s get home before Gil forgets to feed Elric”

Ally grabbed our suitcase off the dining room table while I sat at the table with a paper and a pen. I figured that I could leave a letter for Edward explaining in as much detail as I could of our… ‘Situation’. I told him to meet with us at central if he was willing to help us. I folded the letter and left it on the table and we slipped out without a word.

Ally and I walked in silence, with only the sound of the morning birds chirping and the clink of my auto mail against the dirt road. The whole time guilt filled me every time I looked over at her saddened face staring down at the road. We should have stayed longer, idlest until noon. But, we should have more of a chance running into them at central. Yeah… I did the right thing…. Right?

“Do you think…” Ally began “that I can do what Uncle Mustang said? You know… human transmutation on myself.” I stopped walking glaring straight at her “you promised we would never speak of that again-“

“I know but-“

“Allisa Rein!” I snapped growling. “You saw what human transmutation-“

“I know but…”

“BUT nothing, this discussion is over-“

“What was that about human transmutation?” I snapped my head forward spotting the two figures ahead; I thought I had felt someone coming. Two figures stand ahead of us; one is quiet small while the other is freakishly tall compared. I pushed Ally behind standing in front of her protectively “who’s asking?” I answered.