sugawara koushi•gender neutral reader (fluff)

The First Time for the Second Time 

"Hey." You heard faintly. You were shaking. You could smell something, something pungent. You gagged a bit before peeking one of your eyes open. Who was disturbing your dreams, and why did it feel like you had been hit by a bus. Nothing felt real.

No sooner than you finally got your bearings, you were grabbed by your shoulders and slowly sat up. "God, what is that smell?" You gagged again.

"It's turmeric, it's going to make you feel better." Honestly, the last thing that you thought would make you feel better was the source of that putrid odor. You squinted your eyes.

"Koushi?"

"Is there something wrong?" He asked, looking concerned.

"Other than the overall queasiness and pulsating headache? I am great." You looked at him less than amused. He brought a bottle to your lips and you drank it, reluctantly. It took a lot to not vomit, as much as you felt like doing so. "What the heck happened last night?" You asked after draining a glass of water.

"Well, you called me at three am because I didn't wake up when you knocked on the door, stripped off all of your clothes before I could even close the door, and then set up camp on my couch." You winced. Sure, you had known him all throughout university, he had seen you in pretty rough shape, but that was bad. Even for you.

You looked down and confirmed, none of the clothes you were wearing were yours. It took you a moment. You looked back up at him, blushing. "I'm sorry." You looked back down quickly.

He chuckled a bit and ruffled your hair. "Nothing I haven't seen before." He gave you a soft smile. "Why don't you go shower up, I will make something for you to eat." You nodded your head shamefully.

It felt nice when you got in, the warm water, the slipperiness of the body wash against your skin. The steam that rose smelled like him, you leaned against the cold tile of the shower and shivered. Bits and pieces of last night came back. You betting you could last longer than your friend while taking shots, you stumbling out victorious, but at what cost? Of course, then it was the way you had danced with every able bodied person in the bar, too drunk to care who they were. All of the touching and kissing that happened. You shook your head and rinsed off.

Worst of all, was when you decided to leave. The person trying to lure you back to the dance floor, the friend tugging your wrist as you blew kisses, and the dismissive foolishness of turning down sharing a cab because you knew that if you showed up in your state, Sugawara Koushi would take care of you. And you were hoping that it would be in more ways than one.

You toweled off your body and combed your fingers through your hair, everything smelled like him. You picked up the clothes he left out for you and sniffed them, his detergent. You looked in the mirror, there were bruises all over your neck. You frowned.

You walked out in his tee shirt and shorts. It was almost impossible not to lean against the wall and watch him cooking, humming to himself. You felt a smile curving on your lips. Whatever he had given you had taken effect and you were starting to feel great.

He ruined the moment though, by turning around and catching you staring. You looked away for a moment, pretending like whorls the laminate flooring was really interesting. "I was just about to call you for breakfast."

He carried over two bowls to the coffee table in front of the couch. Tea on rice. More hangover food. "Sorry again." You murmured, rubbing your neck where the marks were. You tried not to notice his eyes following your fingers. He cleared his throat.

"Ah, no problem."

There was a long silence before you spoke again. "I don't remember most of the night, I apologize, for whatever you had to put up with, I didn't mean anything." He frowns and finishes his breakfast.

You eyed him in confusion. Something happened last night between the two of you, and you were out of the loop. That is never a good sign. "Did something happen last night? Did I do something wrong?"

"No, but I might have." He sighed, setting his bowl in the sink. You joined him at the kitchenette. "I-." He put a hand over his eyes and sighed in frustration. "We kissed last night."

And everything stopped. You felt heat rising in your face and your heart thudding in your chest so hard it might burst. You finally got to smooch Sugawara Koushi, your best friend, the guy you had a crush on in freshman year, and you weren't even sober enough to remember it?"

"I knew you were drunk and I shouldn't." He looked down at his clenched fists. "When you put your arms around me and leaned in," he shook his head, "I couldn't stop myself." He wouldn't look up at you. "I understand if you don't ever want to talk to me again."

You put your hand on top of his clenched palm and he snapped up, staring wide-eyed at you. "Well, I'm sober now." You squeezed his hand and he let you tug his hand from the counter so you could spin him towards you.

"I thought you would hate me." He looked shocked.

You laughed. "The only thing I hate is that I don't remember it." You tugged him closer to you by his waist. "That means you are just going to have to jog my memory, okay?" He nodded, dumbfounded.

The two of you leaned in, his thumb brushing across your cheek tenderly and you closed your eyes, leaning into his touch.

And the two of you, after years of skirting around, kissed, for the first time, for real. 

•••

I hope everyone is doing well. I turned in my portfolio and final this morning and fingers crossed I get to stay in my department next year. I am nervous as heck. Got my vaccine and I am looking forward to seeing my family soon. 

Remember to leave your requests on the first chapter of this work!