━ three : good news, bad news, super bad news and super, duper bad news

THE OTHER BLACK
chapter three
.   .   .   .

CORDELIA BLACK,
SEVENTH YEAR
.   .   .   .

"𝙊kay, you look like you're about to murder someone." Snape remarked one night as he sat beside Cordelia, who was beyond fuming as she glared at Ted Tonks, fork tightly grasped in her hand.

"Is it that obvious?" Cordelia hissed, still glaring daggers at Tonks. She saw his sister poke him and point towards her and Tonks turned around. Cordelia would've expected him to gulp or do anything fear related but that bastard had the audacity to smirk at her. "How dare he? I swear to Merlin's beard if Dumbledore weren't here, I would've killed that stupid asshole by now."

"You can always do it at night?" Snape raised a brow at Cordelia, who smirked right back at Tonks when Snape said that.

"You know, you're right." Cordelia laughed, shaking her head a little as she began piling food on her plate. She then looked around the table for her sisters. Narcissa was sitting with the Malfoy twins while Andromeda was nowhere to be seen. It has been like this for a while, ever since she ran off from Cordelia during the Hogsmeade visit. Cordelia may be a lot of things, but she wasn't necessarily an understanding person. Sometimes she understood and sometimes she just didn't. She still has trouble understanding why the word pathetic made Andromeda react the way she did. "You reckon it will make Andy eat with us again?"

"Us? Last I checked I'm just some kid you bullied into ditching their only friend and tutoring them about being more malicious." Snape cut his chicken, grimacing at the sound it made.

"Now that's why I like you. You're different from the other blobs." Cordelia pointed out, bringing her food to her mouth and she bit down, savoring the sudden sourness that coursed through her mouth and made her taste buds ache as she chewed.

"I still don't get why you call children blobs, you were a child too. Correction, you're still a child."

"I'm older than you by six years, have respect, you blob." The Slytherin told him, swallowing her food before she scooped up another plenty amount. "And I call them blobs because children are annoying and as far as you're concerned, you're less annoying than the rest and be thankful for that."

"Far less annoying than Black and his friends, you mean."

"Again, there's four Blacks. I swear I'll be gray when I leave this school for correcting people." Cordelia huffed out, shaking her head and Snape only hummed in response.

Andromeda then limped into the Great Hall, her eyes slightly going wide when she saw Ted Tonks and Cordelia nearly flew out her chair when Tonks smirked at her. Andromeda had hurried over to her seat, limping as she did. Cordelia wanted to know about the limp, but she knew better than to ask her sister, especially with things being the way they are right now. And she knew she'll get angry if Andromeda refuses to tell her and that won't be too nice.

"Andy, dinner's almost done. Where have you been?" Cordelia knew when Andromeda was lying. She wipes her hands off, laughs and smiles. She wasn't one of those liars who glance to the side or anything, she was different and Cordelia had studied all three her sisters when they lied.

Bellatrix never lied, almost never. When she did lie, she stammered and some words came out rushed. Narcissa's eyes never stayed still, they looked everywhere and her cheeks flushed red. But Cordelia almost never lied, just like Bellatrix. But when she did, she bit down on her bottom lip. She guessed that was her only flaw, she wanted that to be her only flaw. See, Cordelia wanted to be the best at everything and if she had to do bad things to achieve it, she doesn't care.