━ ten : this is the devil

THE OTHER BLACK
chapter ten
. . . .

CORDELIA BLACK,
SEVENTH YEAR

. . . .

The sun was just setting when Severus Snape and Cordelia Black stepped off the train, bags right at their feet. Cordelia could see her sisters ━ Bella and Cissy ━ wave at her and she gritted her teeth, wondering if she was making the right choice. Cordelia sighed, looking away from them. Maybe they'll think she didn't see them, hopefully they'll think that. Instead of going to her sisters, Cordelia grabbed the hand of Snape, intertwining their fingers and she let him lead the way, towards his mother.

Eileen Snape looked dead. Her eyes were sunken in and her skin resembled snow. Other than that, she was beautiful, exceptionally beautiful.

"Severus, you've got a friend." Eileen strained a smile at the approaching pair and for the first time in what felt like forever, Cordelia could feel her heart beat fast. It was a foreign feeling, one she didn't like. She's not supposed to fear people, they are supposed to fear her because she's a Black, she's going to become just like Bella, she's going to give them hell. But why was this feeling still coursing through her veins?

"Mother." Snape nodded, a curt nod, one that told Cordelia everything. They weren't on good terms. Cordelia won't say she's all buddy-buddy with Druella but she favored her over Andromeda ❨ which annoyed Cordelia, really ❩ so that has to account for something. Right? "This is Cordelia Black."

Eileen gasped, boney hands flying to her pale mouth and her eyes widened in shock. It look as though she knew something, something about Cordelia and that bothered her. Did she know about her arranged marriage to Rabastan?

"It's you." She whispered, then her eyes searched for something or someone. "Come quick you two. We can't be seen out here, especially with her."

That didn't make any sense to Cordelia, but she didn't let go of Snape as he followed behind his mother. What did Eileen know about Cordelia that she didn't? She was certain she knew everything about herself. Well, there was the forgetting thing that she couldn't place her finger on. But Eileen couldn't possibly know about that, could she? Cordelia knows now for a fact that Snape and his mother didn't exactly see eye to eye, so why would he write about her to his mother? Plus he just introduced her to her, but she did say something about it being her and that they can't be seen with her. But it still didn't make any sense to Cordelia.

"Please hurry you two." Eileen told the two just as Cordelia glanced back to see if any of her sisters were following them. She sighed in relief when she saw that they weren't. She had half expected Bellatrix to come rushing towards them, wand at at the ready. Cordelia didn't know if the feeling coursing through her veins was relief, disappointment or shock.

Eileen led them to the bustling streets of London and Cordelia could feel the angry hum of her heart hammering against her ribcage. She hasn't been this far on foot, and she's lived here for Merlin's beard! But it wasn't her fault really, Druella was picky when it came down to her children, especially Cordelia and Bellatrix. The older girl gasped when she saw an elderly man suddenly get pushed up against the wall and she looked at Snape, who looked away.

"I'm sorry about all this Cordelia dear, I'm sure you're not used to all this." Eileen's voice was barely a whisper but Cordelia could luckily hear her. "We can't afford to take a cab so we walk."

"It's absolutely fine Mrs Snape ━"

"Ms Prince, please." Eileen looked back for a second, flashing her a strained smile before she continued to walk on.