Book One: Chapter 13

A loud horn roared through Jenny's ears as she jumped on her bed inside her father's cabin. The metal door banged too, like a steel drum.

In the corner, her father rose, rubbing his wrinkled forehead. "Who is it?"

The door burst open as Huntar raced toward Barry and kneeled in front of Barry's bed. "My chief! Horde's army is outside the vessel!"

Barry widened his eyes. "He is here? How?"

"I don't understand either."

Barry rubbed his chin until he spotted something on Jenny's upper arm.

He grabbed her arm and stared closely at it.

"Ouch! What is it?" Jenny looked and saw golden runic symbols on her arm. Three eclipse circles with spots between them.

Barry glared at her. "Where did you get that mark?"

"I... ah-"

"Tell me!"

"I don't know!"

Barry released her arm. "Sorry, but that is a tracking spell. Did you encounter the Cocidus Clan before you came here?"

"She said they capture her and left her near a lake," Huntar answered. "Horde wished to know where she is headed."

"Then he knew she is my daughter and plotted to find us with the spell on her." Barry grabbed his wooden crane. "We have to prepare for battle now!"

"But what about Jenny?" Huntar asked.

Barry turned to him. "You take her to safety. I will face Horde with my army."

"Wait-dad! You can't!" Jenny placed her hands on her father's shoulders. "He will kill you!"

Barry pushed her back. "I am the chief of this clan. I cannot let my clan fight without me. Horde must not get the Star Crystal."

"But I just found you! I cannot go on without you!"

Barry hugged her. "I know dear.....But I must do this."

He turned to Huntar. "Protect her with your life."

Huntar pounded his chest with one fist. "I will, chief."

Barry gave Jenny one more hug, and then he sprinted through the door.

*****

Barry marched down the stairway, avoiding the sharp barnacles on each step.

Barry wasn't sure if they could win this battle against the Cocidius Clan inside their hideout. But if he could kill Horde, then Horde's army will retreat.

He hoped his daughter will escape safely with Huntar. At least he spent most of his time with her. Maybe he should have escaped with her, so he could help her start a new life-

No! For the sake of the world, he must protect the Star Crystal!

Inside the hangar, his beast warriors grabbed their weapons and equipped their armor plates. There wasn't much they could use to build defenses against the ape army. The ruined jets and empty crates were useless.

Zena and Torag approached him.

"Where is Jenny?" Zena ran toward Barry while Torag caught up to her.

"She is with Huntar," said Barry. "He is taking her to safety."

"Should we go with them?"

Barry narrowed his eyes. "No, I need you both here to help me fight back. We have to kill Horde to end this battle quickly."

Zena nodded. "We are with you to the end, chief."

Barry smiled at them, glad his best warriors agreed to stay with him to fight. They were like his new children who never let him fight alone. Without them, he wouldn't be alive to see his daughter.

An explosion blew through the hangar door. Pieces of shrapnel flew across the camp. After the smoke cleared, the sunlight shone into the main deck, wiping away the darkness. A bunch of shadows climbed through the hole and stepped into the hangar.

All of Barry's warriors gathered behind him. There were a lot of ape warriors marching into the main deck.

Horde stepped through next past his mighty warriors, bigger and taller as Barry remembered. The brown ape-man wore his heavy red armor suit and carried his hammer. His long red cape waved behind him like a flag, signaling for battle.

Horde stepped in front of his army and smiled at Barry. "Well well well.....So we finally meet."

Barry slowly removed his furry coat. His big shiny bronze muscles shined in the sunlight. "I knew you will find us, eventually. But you will not defeat us easily."

"Good. It would bore me if I kill you easily." Horde looked around and chuckled. "I see your daughter isn't with you. I supposed she is a coward."

Barry narrowed his eyes. "You keep my daughter out of this! This is only between you and me!"

"Why? Is she weak? A good father trains his offspring to fight for survival. You must be pathetic to let her crawl away with her tail between her legs."

"My daughter doesn't belong to this world. She wasn't supposed to come here."

"But she did, and now she is part of this world. If the world doesn't kill her, then......" Horde turned a grin. "Maybe I will have the honor to kill her myself."

Barry gritted his teeth. "You will not touch her!"

Horde shrugged. "I already did."

Barry moved his feet forward, but Zena held him back.

"Don't let him taunt you, chief," she whispered. "He is trying to bring your guard down."

Barry sighed and stepped back.

She was right. If Barry gets killed before the battle, then defending the Star Crystal will be all for nothing. He would never see his daughter again.

"I'm getting bored already," said Horde. "Give me the crystal, and I shall spare your clan's lives."

Barry chuckled as he slowly pulled out his long sword from the top of his cane, sharp like a katana with a wooden handle. "You won't spare us, anyway. When you use the crystal's power, there will be nobody left to fight you."

Horde laughed. "Very good point. Attack!"