Book Three: Chapter 15

The party buried the skeletons outside under a dune. Not all the bones were buried with their rightful parts, but it was the least Jenny could do with her friends. Rani believed spirits would haunt them if they didn’t put the spirits’ bones to rest in peace. With a clear camping spot and no angry ghosts, the party settled in their own little settlement.

Huntar and Rani left to hunt outside, staying in the city. They caught a pig-like armadillo creature and brought it back to the lobby to roast over the campfire. While they feasted and drank water, each of them chatted about their backstories.

Rani came from a warrior panther tribe in the jungle called the Hidden Shadow Clan. They were mercenaries who helped other tribes win wars with sheath tactics and assassination skills. Then a sorcerer found them and destroyed their entire clan. Rani was the only one who escaped from the mysterious attacker. In the desert, a pack of slavers took her to their market, where the hyena slaver, Trolgu, brought her. As an honorable warrior, she must obey him under his ownership to keep her life. With her freedom now, she planned to travel as a mercenary warrior after Jenny’s party completes their quest. Her need to fight for profit still boiled inside her blood.

Jenny decided to mention her true origin to Rani and Basju. They weren’t surprised because they live in a world full of magic. Time travel sounded like magic to their point of view. However, they craved to learn what the human past was like before human civilization fell into extinction. Jenny told them as much as she could remember, until her doziness caught up with her. Rest was important. They finished their meal and laid down around the campfire. The tents might be covered in parasites or poiousness bugs. Who knew. The desert has many suprires.

Toward midnight, or whatever time has passed, Jenny got up and stretched her arms out. The furry sleeping bag felt hard and flat on the floor, leaving Jenny’s back stiffed.

She cracked her back, waking up her spine, and she sighed. The pain arched away, but it left her wide awake. Maybe a little stroll outside should help her fall back to sleep.

She stepped outside and sucked in the fresh cool air. It was peaceful and quiet with windy whispers through the structures.

In her memory, the city bloomed with lights, cars, and cheerful people. Shows and music once performed inside the casinos and theaters. Luxious food could be smelled around the fancy resturants. Now it was a lost paradise, empty and lifeless. An ancient ghost city where dreams died with the decreased population.

When Jenny yawned, her eyes caught the sight of a glowing white orb, leviating toward her. At first, she thought the ball was a desert fire fly, but it was too big to be one.

By the time the spectrum reached her, Jenny poked her finger at it, and then everything flashed before her eyes.

*****

Basju yawned and scratched his back. His bladder rumbled inside his bowels. That meant it was time to go outside and take a piss.

He knew drinking his waterskin would wake him up soon at night. But he was having sought a good time with his new friends, he cared less. Too bad they didn’t have wine to make his night go brighter with joy.

The monkey sprinted outside from the entrance and stood behind a metal pole with his pants down. As he released, he whistled until he glimpsed a moving shadow down the sandy street. It appeared it was carrying a body, but the darkness clouded over it.

Basju finished and pulled his pants up. “Hey, you!” He dashed toward the figure. “Stop!”

The figure stopped and turned in his direction. After Basju stopped close enough, his mouth dropped.