Book Three: Chapter 9

Basju sprinted straight past Jenny as if his baggy white pants were on fire. As Jenny followed his lead, the Wyrboos swarmed down and fluttered after them.

Through the tunnel, Jenny slipped and rolled down into Basju. Both of them trembled toward the light at the end.

The sun touched them as they rolled down a sandy slope outside. After they stopped, Jenny pushed the monkey off her and glanced up.

The Wyrboos flew from the open hole in the giant mountain butte. But when the sunlight touched them, they screamed and spun around back into their dark sanctum. Of course, they could only thrive at night.

“Yaaaaaaaaah!” Basju jumped up and down with his arms raised. He waved the curved sword in his right hand. “We live! We live! We are the only ones who escaped!”

Jenny snarled at him as she got up. “You almost got us killed!”

Basju pointed his blade at her. “I needed a weapon! How am I supposed to defend myself out here? And I don’t see a weapon on you either!”

Jenny smirked and held up her left fist. “I don’t need a weapon.” Her fist shimmered like a light bulb. “My power is my weapon.”

Basju rolled his eyes. “Whatever, sorceress.”

Jenny powered down her fist. She has the power, but it still weakens her. Only using less of her power doesn’t affect her body much.

"Is that monkey bothering you?" A familiar voice asked.

Jenny turned around and saw Huntar, Zena, and Torag standing on a dune. With a big grin, Jenny raced up the hill and hugged the lion. Zena and Torag joined their embrace.

"We thought we had lost you," Zena whispered.

"But we never gave up hope," Huntar moaned.

"Torag!" The rhino barked.

"Thanks. That monkey over there is Basju." Jenny turned toward the monkey as he approached her friends. "He helped me escape from the night creatures inside their cave… Sort of."

Basju bowed to them. "Greetings! She actually saved my life. Heeheehee!"

Huntar placed his fists on his hips with a big grin. "A friend who saved a friend is a friend to me. I'm Huntar, and the others are Zena and Torag."

The zebra woman observed Basju. "Do you happen to be an unfortunate prey in there?"

The monkey rubbed behind his head. "Yeeeaaah, A merchant possession accompanied me. When night fell, the Wyrboos attacked our camp."

"Those were the same creatures who attacked us," Jenny explained.

"I'm sorry for your loss," said Zena.

Basju sniffed. "Yup, I was the only one who survived. By the way, why are you four out here?"

"We are mercenaries hired by a chief to steal relics from two sorcerers," Huntar explained. "Our journey will be long and dangerous."

Jenny wiped her sweat off her forehead. "We could escort you somewhere if-"

"No need!" Basju exclaimed and crossed his arms. "I was just wandering around in need of an adventure. I would love to join your party to escape boredom. Hehehe."

Jenny beamed her eyes at him. "But what about the merchant-"

"Oh, they were only my ride." Basju chuckled. "There is a merchant village close to here. It is my destination, but I never planned to stay there. Please let me join you!"

Zena bit her lower lip. "What are your skills?"

Basju smiled, revealing his yellow square teeth. "I’m a trickster."

Huntar raised an eyebrow. "A trickster?"

"Hold up your sword."

"Why?"

"It's a demonstration. Trust me."

The lion shrugged and drew out his broadsword. "Now what?"

Basju held out his arms. "Swing it at me."

"Are you sure?"

"Do I look afraid? Heeheehee."

The monkey sounded crazy, but he didn't shudder. What else did he have up his sleeves besides annoying Jenny?

Huntar groaned and swung his sword. Before his eyes, Basju vanished as his blade slashed through the Beastman.

Huntar held up his sword in shock. "What in Kronos!?"

"Over here!" Basju's voice shouted.

Jenny and her friends turned around. The monkey stood on another dune behind the group. He waved a battle staff over his head. "You see? You see?"

Zena dropped her mouth and pointed her finger at the staff. "That's my bo!"

"How did you do that?" Jenny asked.

Basju laughed and strolled toward Zena. "Deception. I have a little magic too. But I only use it to trick tribes."

Zena grabbed her battle staff back. "You're a thief?"

Basju shrugged. "Many called me a thief, but I consider myself as a Trickster. If I join you, I can trick the sorcerers and steal the relics. What do you say?"

Huntar laughed. "I like this one. We should use his talent."

"Very well." Zena glared at Basju. "But I will keep a close eye on you. No deceiving us!"

Basju nodded with a grin. "Can you share the reward too?"

Jenny grimaced.