Book One: Chapter 1

Author's Note:

"My other draft got corrupted somehow, so I had to delete it. From now on, I will use this draft to post my rewritten chapters. The first book will be the same, except the beginning will be different and new scenes will be added. And the next books will be different too. Sorry for changing this series, but I do want it to be good without problems. Enjoy."  

"I can't believe we are doing this." Jenny sighed while resting her chin on her clenched hand, staring at the passenger window inside the news van, feeling a cloud over her head.

"Oh, come on, it will not be so bad." Eddie drove the van, keeping his eyes on the street through the city. "The Thunder Tech Convention is pretty cool."

"Easy for nerds like you to say."

Eddie chuckled as he steered the van. "But we nerds do like to dream."

Jenny rolled her eyes. She never thought she would ever drive to the corporation's presentation at the Javits Center. The corporation her father used to work at before his tragedy. She wanted to avoid the company as much as possible, but she couldn't say no to her boss.

Mr.Coleman, editor-in-chief of the Daily News Network, was one of the meanest bosses who Jenny had ever met. If she didn't do what he said, he could fire her in an instant. Everyone had to put up with his questionable decisions to keep their jobs.

He heard the corporation decided to present a new invention, which might astonish the entire world. And he wanted to get the announcement before another news studio gets it.

If Jenny said no, then she would lose her job. No job, no roof over her head. And Jenny wouldn't survive without a roof over her head. The city was like a wild jungle.

Eddie glanced at her after he stopped toward an intersection. "May I ask why you don't want to go to the convention?"

Jenny sighed. "It's complicated....."

"You know we been working together for almost two years. Your secret is safe with me."

Eddie was right. She had known him since their boss assigned him to be her cameraman. Sure, sometimes he was annoying, but he was also a good friend who kept her spirits up during her stressful times.

She bit her lip, hissing through her teeth. "My father worked for Thunder Tech."

"Cool! What department did he work at?"

"Engineering. He was an inventor there, but an accident killed him."

"Oh..... I am sorry." Eddie drove forward. "What happened?"

"They never told me. They said it was classified."

"Really? That totally sucked! Everyone should know what happened to their relatives."

"I know....." Jenny remembered two men in black suits arriving at her mother's old house. They said Jenny's father, Barry, died in an explosion, but they couldn't specifically say what caused it.

For years the mystery of her father's fate burned inside Jenny's mind for a long time. She wanted that painful memory to go away so it wouldn't ruin her life. It worked since she never dared herself to visit her father's old job. Never daring to see the spot where he probably died at. It would haunt her for the rest of her life until she could no longer feel anything. Now she was afraid her own job would bring back those bad memories she buried a long time ago.