XXIV

The sound of heavy footfalls echoed throughout the Rosier Manor as the h/c girl rushed down the steps. A torn envelope in hand as she clutched the letter in the other.

Her mother sat in a lounging chair, tea cup in hand when she noticed the girl. "Where are you going?"

Y/n smiled sheepishly, "Penelope wrote." She sat on the arm of the chair, showing her mother the roughly written letter. "The Parkinson's are going to Cornwall next week, she was wondering if we'd like to go."

Endora pursed her lips, causing the younger girl to frown. "I'm sorry, love. But you seem to forget we have commitment elsewhere."

A soft sigh left Y/n's lips as she stood up, nodding her head. "Alright, you owe me cookies." She grinned, watching as her mother smiled widely at her order.

She began to walk away, pausing up the steps when her mother spoke. "Oh, dear, the Flint's are allowing Marcus to stay over."

Her heart skipped a beat as she blushed at the news, clearing her throat and turning towards her. "When will he be here?"

"Tomorrow." Endora announced, picking her cup up and slowly sipping from it. She watched as the girl continued to ascend up the stairs, turning towards the portrait that was already watching her.

"I'll finally get to meet him myself." Evan smirked, sitting back in his chair. "I will admit, it saddens me to know he's only being used for the mark." The male ran a pale hand through his hair, "Do you reckon they'll learn to love? I don't want to make the mistake of marrying our daughter off to someone who won't pay any mind to her. She deserves to be loved and cared for, despite everything they're being put through."

"Evan," Endora approached the portrait, "This boy is different from the rest, I have a feeling he will treat her right."

Evan watched as she smiled reassuringly, something about her smile bringing a calming sense over him. "We can only hope, my love."

. . . ✿ . . .

Marcus watched the vacant room with curiosity, following Endora as she showed him around their home. "It's not a big house, unlike your own." The older woman smiled, leading him up the steps and into the room he would be staying.

"This will be your room, uh, I'll be around and I do believe Y/n is in her room down the hall. Shout if you need anything." The woman smiled cheerfully, shutting the door on her way out.

Dropping his luggage, Marcus stepped into the dimly lit hallway. He glanced at the portraits nervously, walking towards a closed door and softly knocking. The door opened to reveal Y/n in muddy rain boots and a large raincoat. She smiled widely, taking his hand and pulling him inside her room.

"Are you going out?" Marcus asked, gesturing to her attire.

"Nope, I actually just got back." She smirked, removing her boots. "I went to the pond, and looked at what I've bought back." She handed him a jar, a single slug sat in the middle of the dirt covered jar.

Marcus recoiled at the sight, handing her the jar back cautiously. "You found that at a pond?"

The girl nodded, placing the creature onto her bedside table. "Well, obviously not in the pond." She rolled her eyes, sitting on the center of the bed and patting the space besides her.

Marcus sat bedside her, propping his head on his hand. "What made you do such a strange thing?" He grinned, moving a strand of hair behind her ear as he stared at her longingly.

She shrugged, laying down besides him. "I'm not sure if I want to use it to scare my aunt Vinda or if I want to go back out and release him."

Marcus howled a laugh at her blunt statement, covering his face with his hands. "Salazar, what will I do with you." Y/n smiled, shrugging slightly.

The two laid still, the sound of the harsh wind being the only thing heard from outside. The girl toyed with the sleeve of her coat, biting her lip as she quickly sat up. Marcus frowned, mimicking her action. "Everything alright, love?"

She forced a smile, nodding her head in his direction. "I think I want to return the slug."

Marcus furrowed his brows, helping her put her boots back on and following her outside. It was true, the Rosier Manor was smaller than his families, but it did hold its beautiful scenery. The pond sat in the back of the house, surrounded by garden walls. He watched as she knelt down, opening the jar and placing the slug onto the wet cement.

"There," The girl announced, shutting the jar tightly. "Now he or she can return with their loved ones."

"You're acting weird." Marcus approached her, watching as the sky began to darken.

"No, I'm not." She frowned when he gave her a look as if to test his statement otherwise. "Alright, maybe I am. I-I got a letter from your mother, she wants me to give her my sizes."

"Sizes?" Marcus asked, leading her back towards the house. "What for?"

"For the wedding dress." She whispered softly, causing him to halt in his step. "Don't get me wrong, I don't think being married to you is bad. It's just-"

"Too soon." He cut her off with a forceful smile, "I know."

The pair had made their way back into her bedroom, sitting besides each other at the edge of her bed. "Marcus, I'm glad it's you." She whispered, leaning her head on his shoulder.

The boy didn't know what to say, he wasn't able to explain the thoughts he was having at the moment. Maybe it was guilt, shame, or maybe it was the warm fuzzy feeling called love. He didn't quite know, what he did know was that he was afraid of what was to happen. He laid his head on her own, smiling softly at how far the two had come.