XXVI

A frown etched on the girl's face, watching as the tailor stepped back to admire his work. Letting out a content hum, he allowed the girl's mother and Mrs. Flint into the room.

Endora let out a gasp at the sight of her daughter adorned in white fabric. "She's beautiful." Mrs. Flint complemented, furrowing her brows. "Why do you frown, love? Are you not pleased with the dress?"

Y/n looked between the two women, biting the inside of her cheek before shaking her head softly. "No, no, it's beautiful. Sorry, I'm just not feeling all too well." She began to move around, begging her mother closer and motioning towards the dress. "Can we go now, I don't feel well." She whispered.

Endora frowned, nodding her head before helping the girl. She watched as the girl let out a shaky breath, a worried look over took her features at the sight of the girl.

. . . ✿ . . .

A soft knock echoed in the dark room, with a low 'come in' the door opened. Marcus frowned at the sight of the girl laying in bed, blanket thrown over her body as she stared out the large window.

Clearing his throat, he approached. "Your mum told me you've been in bed. Thought I'd come see how you are feeling." He sat besides her, moving a strand of hair out of her face. "What's wrong?" He asked, sincere worry laced in his soft voice.

"Stressed." She muttered, opening her eyes to stare at the boy. Her nose appeared to be red, along with her puffy eyes, as if she had spent all night crying. Truth be told, she had done just that. Standing a month away from the wedding left her in a frenzy panic, reality hitting her harder than a brick.

Marcus watched as she sat up, wrapping her arms around her body. "You don't have to be," he spoke. "Let your mother worry, it's what I do." He cracked a smile, "How about you come with me and Nana to the old manor? It'll help you get your mind off of all this, I'm sure your mother is more than happy to allow you to accompany us."

"You already asked her, haven't you?" She studied him, watching as his smile widened.

"I did, and she's more than happy to let you come. She's worried about you." He took her hand in his, toying with her fingers. "So am I." The girl sat silently, watching their hands fit together.

"I guess I could use the getaway." She whispered with a smile. Marcus leaned in, placing a firm kiss on her forehead.

. . . ✿ . . .

"I feel as if I've forgotten something. Marcus, have I forgotten something?" Josephina asked aloud, turning to the boy.

"No, Nana, mum made sure to pack everything you needed." Marcus took her arm, leading the older witch inside. He turned to Y/n who trailed behind them.

"Have I mentioned how beautiful she is?" Josephina asked in a low whisper, watching as the boy tore his eyes away from the girl. Before Marcus could respond the house elf greeted them, causing his grandmother to trail behind the elf as she muttered about a dish she wished to have.

"I forgot how big the manor is." Y/n stated, her e/c orbs glancing around the large room.

"You're going to have to get used to it." Marcus sighed, "Mum thinks it's best if we spend summers here after the wedding, just us two."

The girl's eyes widened at his words, "So, we'll be living here when we are not in school?"

"Yes," He confessed, leading her towards her bedroom. "For the time being anyways, we do have to settle down somewhere." A low hum of agreement was heard from behind him, watching as the girl walked passed him and into the bedroom.

She dropped her luggage down, throwing her body onto the bed lazily. Marcus scoffed a laugh at her action, causing him to follow her. He landed besides her, wrapping his arm around her. "Do you think things will change?" She whispered, resting her head on his chest.

"Between us?" Marcus hummed, a sigh leaving his lips as she nodded her head softly. "I think they will," He admitted. "But it will not change how I feel about you." The girl felt her heart skip a beat, staring up at him through her lashes. "I really like you, Y/n."

He wasn't sure if it was the arrangement making him say these things, but he did know what he felt for her was true. She made him feel loved and cared for, something no one has shown him in years. He liked her a lot. No, he loved her. Too afraid to scare her away he chose to admit the former, afraid he would mess things up.

The girl remained silent, eyes searching for any indication which told the opposite of what he spoke. When she found no evidence of his words being lies she felt herself die of words, attempting to confess what she felt for him as she sat up abruptly.

A frown formed on Marcus' lips, hurt that he might have said the wrong thing. Afraid he had spoken too soon and made things bad. But her next words left him in shock, a sincere look on her face as she spoke.

"I think I love you."

Now it was him who sat speechless, scared to say something and mess everything up. His mind raced at the possibilities of her ever admitting such a thing, slimming it down to zero. He blinked at her, opening his mouth to speak only for him to shut it back up. He feared it was the guilt of being arranged to him speaking, the words she spoke only being feelings born from shame.

The girl refused to meet his eyes at the sudden silence, her own eyes watering as she feared he didn't feel enough for her. She blinked the tears away, standing from the bed and walking away. Before she was a foot away, Marcus had taken her arm, pulling her back into his chest as their lips met.

"I know I love you." He admitted, resting his forehead on her own. His heavy breaths fanned her face as he nudged his nose with hers. "I know I do."