Nerds Night In

"Oh, come on! You're cheating like a motherfucker; you have to be!" Jimbo shouted, throwing his cards down on the table.

"You're just now realizing that?" Nelson asked over the cigarette tucked in his teeth, "How do you think that I got out on the first round? There's no way that she's that much better than I am."

"Don't be sore losers," Eve shrugged, celebrating getting another person out, "I'm just really good at cards thanks to my awful playdates with Jessica Lovejoy. Now that girl is a cheat."

"Yeah," Kearney nodded, "She cheated me out of a hundred and fifty dollars during one of those stupid abstinence classes at the church. I told the teacher that I had two kids and she fainted."

"Sounds like my dad," Eve laughed as Jimbo continued to pout about getting out.

"Oh yeah, I think he fainted not too long ago when I brought Kearney Jr and Axel to church the other day even though I'm a thirty-year-old man."

"He's something else," She shook her head, her eyes snapping over to the front door at the sound of knocking.

"Speak of the devil," Dolph laughed, "I think someone has finally hunted down his little pumpkin."

She got to her feet, taking her cards with her in case that it wasn't her dad so that the boys could cheat. There was no peephole, so Eve pulled open the door, praying that it wouldn't be her dad stood out on Nelson's front porch. Instead of Ned's average sized frame, there was the tall and slender frame of her good friend Lisa. Her spiky hair was combed back, and even though the sun was just going down and it was still hot as ever outside, she was twisted up in her red cardigan.

"Lisa, what are you doing here?" Eve asked, stepping out onto the porch with Lisa instead of inviting her inside.

"I told you that you were going to spend the night at my house," Lisa said, crossing her arms over her chest, "And since you ran off with Nelson earlier, I took it upon myself, and Bart's driving abilities, to come and get you."

"This really isn't necessary, I'm fine here. Nelson looks out for me, I promise." She said, resting a hand on Lisa's shoulder.

"I know that you think he's a nice guy on the inside," Lisa sighed.

"You don't know what I think of him."

"Yes, I do, Eve!" Lisa almost whined, "I know what you're thinking because I thought the same thing. Nelson is not this hidden Milhouse waiting to break out. You can't penetrate his armor. I've tried."

"Lisa, I'm not trying to change anything about him," Eve shook her head, "I like Nelson just how he is."

"How can you like someone like that?" Lisa asked, sounding exhausted, "He smokes, and he drinks, and he's mean to everyone. He was even mean to you not that long ago."

"That's what you know about him," Eve sighed, "Nelson is so much more than cigarettes and beer! You don't understand him the way that I do."

"You've been here like two days," Lisa laughed, "I don't think you understand him as much as you think you do."

"I understand more than you do."

"And what exactly do you understand about him?" She asked, arms crossed over her chest and an eyebrow raised in question.

"He's not a bad guy-"

"Yeah, sure, he isn't," Lisa rolled her eyes.

"Don't interrupt me," Eve said, narrowing her eyes at Lisa and making her gulp, "Nelson is a little rough around the edges, I know he's not perfect. But, he's done nothing but be nice to me since we've been spending time together."