vii » house of wonder

★ 𝙸𝚗 𝙰𝚗𝚞𝚋𝚒𝚜 𝙷𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚗 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍, 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚒𝚝 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚊 𝚍𝚘𝚣𝚎𝚗 𝚚𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜. ★

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

It was exactly five in the morning when the crook moved, all by itself. Patricia and Alfie were just about to end their shift, but Alfie quickly spotted the movement.

"Yo, Trixie, look!" Alfie rose his tone, pointing at the crook.

"Whoa," Patricia stood up, walking towards it, waving her hand over the top of it, almost as though she was checking for string, "How is that possible?"

"A ghost appeared and gave us a tattoo; we woke a zombie; and a pyramid killed an immortal student — nothing shocks me anymore."

The crook wasn't moving very fast. In fact, it was actually very slow. It hadn't even reached the door yet, giving Alfie and Patricia enough time to wake up the rest of Sibuna.

"Eddie, KT," Patricia shook them awake, while Alfie awoke Amber and Fabian.

Amber grumbled, brushing her hair out of her face, "It can't be my turn again."

"It's not, Amber," Alfie said, "It's the crook. It's moving."

"Oh, Anubis House, you never cease to amaze me," Eddie sat up, looking at the crook move closer and closer to the door.

"I guess we follow it now," KT shrugged.

"Surely it's just moving to the attic," Fabian said, "We only stayed awake to find out who was moving it up there. But of course, it's moving itself up there — nothing is ever simple here."

"So it's another ghost?" Alfie said, "God, I'm so done with ghosts. How do we even know it's evil? What if it's a nice ghost who owns a cattle and just needs its cattle heard instrument back?" Once Alfie stopped speaking, he looked around him, seeing all of his friends just staring at him.

"Crook, Alfie. It's called a crook," Fabian said, deadpan.

"No comment on the not evil bit?"

"I don't think it's a nice ghost."

"Should we, erm, stop debating the niceties of the ghost—because it might not even be a ghost—and just follow the crook?" KT spoke up.

The five friends agreed and they all started to follow the artefact across the hall, up the stairs and into the attic. It took almost ten minutes for the crook to get up there, so they couldn't even talk, as to not wake up everyone else in the house, especially Victor.

"And here we are, back in our favourite attic," Amber said sarcastically.

"I'm lost," Eddie walked around the attic, "We've reached a dead end. Already. No one is moving the crook, and nothing is in the attic."

"There needs to be something here," Fabian said.

"We've been in this attic countless times, Fabian, there's nothing here that we haven't already discovered."