Chapter 14: The Secret and The Heir

Canada didn't know what to think as he sat on his bed in silence, staring solemnly at his trembling hands with a wince. The image of the creature still haunted his mind and he knew that it wasn't going away anytime soon.
The smell of blood and metal and smoke still lingered and he could almost taste the iron on his tongue with every second he looked back on the image of it all. Something he couldn't really ignore nor dismiss from his already scarred senses, conflicts swirling and battling around in his head and a million questions still flooding his thoughts.

He sighed quietly, glancing over to where his blazer hung from the rack, the cloak still clipped onto the shoulders and hanging on for dear life. His gaze softened for a moment as he stared at it, the only piece of clothing he still had from his mother. Made by his mother.

It was difficult for him. Not knowing why his mother left and where she had gone to. If she was even still alive. His father kept so much from him, and when he thought he had moved on and gotten used to it, another bombshell had collided with his life.

Now, there was a creature lurking and chained in the depths of his home and he didn't know why. Something that Canada could have almost considered to have been an angel from another world. But then again, his world was already filled with deadly creatures, cautious species and so many other mysteries that had yet to be solved and discovered.

It scared him...

Ireland had ushered him back up the steps and back into the safety of the red and dark halls he had been used to all his life. A subtle reassurance that he was still home... although it didn't seem as homely now. Then again, when had it ever been comforting and secure for him? It was more like a prison... nothing new there.

He fidgeted and stared down at his boots nonchalantly; trying to distract himself from the thoughts that were clawing at the walls of his mind. The pain that throbbed heavily in the centre of his chest like a grave burden.

And he couldn't bear the pain and anguish that drove his head to near insanity as he forced himself up onto his feet and marched to the door of his room, grabbing his blazer which he slipped on with ease with little thought.  The door swung open and he stepped out into the corridor with a frown upon his face and his eyes cold and narrowed. It was empty, and luckily for him, no one came walking around the corner. Only met by the cold aura of his so-called home and the distant sounds of marching soldiers that were armed to the teeth with armour and weapons- all to kill innocent creatures and beings.

His father never really talked to him, and he would do his best to keep away from him as much as possible. But he couldn't help the fact that his father seemed to enjoy shoving him into situations where both of them had to keep close and act formally together. Dinners, meetings, talks and socializing with his father's putrid and serpentine allies who seemed to be even worse than the demons his father's soldiers hunted down and murdered.

Canada made his way through the castle, eventually stepping into the corridor of multiple distanced doors. Heading towards one of the first doors, knocking and waiting anxiously- glancing around as he did and keeping his senses up, high and active. Listening to hear if anyone was approaching from around the corner. The door opened and Canada quickly looked over to see Ireland standing there with a surprised expression on his face, brows raised and eyes glistening. But the General took no time in stepping aside to let in the Prince who hurried to cower and retreat into the comfort of his uncle's calm room.

It was larger than his own. Bookshelves decorating the walls with several banners made of expensive silks and materials that had been brought from far away; a larger set of windows opening up the room to the outside Kingdom that could have looked beautiful. But instead symbolized and looked like nothing but broken hearts, ash and a lingering depression that left a saddened frown on Canada's face.