Chapter 8: The Monster

Life as a King is hard. Especially when you live with a load of siblings who will never understand you.

Russia frowned to himself, staring down and haunching over the multiple maps, patrol reports and letters that had been scattered across the table. His eyes glowed in the dim light of the room, tail swaying from side to side behind him.

He often did these things alone, sometimes joined by his cousins and a few guards who helped him and gave him their opinions on his decisions. After all, how would a Kingdom be mighty, strong and fair if it never listened to its people?
Trailing his claws through the tinted paper he let out a low sigh, tired and dull. Enjoying things these days had been difficult, every day the same.
But becoming more violent every week.

The door clicked from behind him, his ears perking up slightly, not bothering to turn to watch as his two cousins waltzed in. Lithuania always had a dark gaze amongst almost everything, Kazakhstan almost the plain and complete opposite of her. But the two cared for and helped each other, especially in battle and their weekly decision making meetings that had been held in the same room for years.
Lithuania sighed from where she now stood, looking down at the papers with a bored look on her face, her multicoloured eyes glowing softly. One of the few people Russia knew who had heterochromia, not that he minded. It was fairly pretty but he never had the time to compliment them.

Kazakhstan pulled out a file from under his cloak, "I collected this from the North earlier this morning." He said, wings ruffling behind him as he opened it, flicking through the pages with a stiffened look. "Finland's borders were breached last week by Britain's soldiers. But he's been able to fix them up again with his magic and fleet," Kazakhstan said, speaking firmly as usual. His voice never trembling or breaking. Always confident.

Russia listened, leaning back a little and frowning.

"Only a large loss of life for Britain's fleet. But the forest was fairly disturbed." Kazakhstan said, throwing the file down onto the table with the other reports. "When I got there they were still cleaning up and tending to their wounded and the forest. It looked like a blood bath," he said, muttering a bit with a glare down at the file, disgusted.

"Finland will ask for help when he needs it," Russia spoke, tucking his claws behind his back as he straightened his posture. "He doesn't need it yet, didn't ask. So he'll be fine. You know how he is."

Finland. Russia's closest ally and friend. The Prince of the mountains and the King of the snow and ice that he ruled over. The white-tailed deer was what he was. A species every monster laughed at, the species that was seen to be weak and nothing more than a decoration for a winter cabin.

But that Prince had grown with power. Had shown the other territories that he wasn't afraid to fight and shed blood. As long as it was for a fair reason. Russia's alliance with him had gone strong and he respected the deer as much as the deer respected him. The wolf.
To almost every other territory, Russia was seen as a beast, a monster. But he wasn't surprised.
His massive forms and darkened eyes always gave off a bad impression to other leaders, not that he really cared. All it did was make him even more intimidating than he already was. A big advantage.

But the mortal territories hated and feared him. And it seemed impossible for them to change their minds and to at least try to see the truth.
Russia sighed, closing his eyes with a wince as he rubbed at his face.

Kazakhstan frowned upon the sight of his cousin and looked down again at the sheets of tinted paper. "EU isn't very happy with what's been going on. NATO and UN too. Although I haven't heard much from them since the last meeting."

"Britain won't stop. Everyone knows that. He won't give up on his fight until he gets exactly what he wants, "Russia hissed a little, pupils shrinking with anger. "All he wants is mass murder for all of us, what have EU and his little gang done? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Apart from watching from their stupid little rich mansions while downing wine and festering over their jewellery.
Once Britain is done with my Kingdom he'll move on to the other territories."

"Not to forget Germany's territory."

Russia groaned and fell back in his chair, leaning back and staring up at the ceiling. "This is shit."