12

toxic – britney spears

"i'm addicted to you, don't you know that you're toxic?"

A week into the spring term, it became pretty clear that Sofia and Regulus were simply not going to talk about the kiss. And Sofia was kind of fine with that. It had been a hormone-fueled impulse. And as much as she wanted to do it again, she steeled herself against all thoughts of kissing Regulus Black.

Sofia wasn't sure if it had been the kiss or their mall rendezvous but this was probably the most stable their relationship had been since... well, ever. They helped each other out with potions and were civil towards each other most of the time.

They were even civil during Quidditch practise, of which they'd had more than usual, with Travers's replacement joining the team and the upcoming match against Durmstrang where they hoped to redeem themselves.

Which they did. It was a pretty even game, but Hogwarts had ended up coming out on top by just a few points. Sofia was quite pleased with the result, plus the fact that she didn't have to play alongside Travers anymore sweetened the deal.

She was happy enough that she dared volunteer to put away the equipment after the game with Regulus.

They wrestled the Quaffles into their box in silence and as they secured them, two Durmstrang players walked into the locker room.

"Perebezhchik," one of the dudes whispered bitterly as he passed Sofia.

Sofia's eyes widened in surprise. That was kind of an unexpected insult.

Regulus frowned at her. "What did he say to you?"

"Um, he called me a defector."

"Oh?"

Sofia shrugged. "I guess he means because I technically could've attended Durmstrang if I wanted to, since I was born in Russia. Or maybe he was talking about... no, but that wouldn't make sense."

"What?"

"Well, my father did technically defect when we moved out here."

"Oh. Shit."

Sofia smiled forlornly. "Yeah, but I somehow doubt that guy is super well-versed in the Muggle ballet scene."

A crease between Regulus's brows. "I'm confused, what does ballet have to do with this?"

"My father was a ballet dancer back in Russia. And he's a choreographer now. So was my mother. She teaches it now."

"You come from a family of ballerinas?"

Sofia scoffed. "What? Do I not seem like the offspring of ballet dancers?"

Regulus looked her up and down. "Well, hockey and Quidditch don't exactly seem like ballerina sports."

"So, you don't think I could be a ballerina because I like to hit things with sticks?"

Regulus shrugged, uncomfortable. "I don't know... I mean, do you know how to... ?" He made a twirling motion with his hands that Sofia supposed meant dance ballet.

Sofia smiled. "I do know how to dance ballet, I was in lessons for eight years actually."

There was a glint in Regulus's eye. "I'll have to see that to believe it."

Sofia laughed. "Yeah, tough luck on that."

"How do you even go from ballet to hockey though?"

"Well... my grandfather is the one who likes hockey. You can imagine he wasn't too pleased when my father started with the ballet but... well, this was after the siege of Leningrad so when Grandpa realised Papa was good enough to get paid for dancing, he wasn't about to start judging."