Epilogue

AN: this is the extended epilogue, so it's fine if u only read until the first break. That's the regular length epilogue. Enjoy. Love y'all !!

daylight – taylor swift

"threw out our cloaks and our daggers because it's morning now, it's brighter now."

Epilogue (or The Five Proposals)

October 20, 1980

Sofia and Regulus didn't see British soil again for over a year. They watched from afar as things deteriorated in their homeland but took some relief in the fact that they were trying to do their part by finding a way to destroy the locket.

The news that Regulus Black had defected from the Death Eaters and been killed in retaliation got spread around maybe a couple of months after they left England. Regulus was fine with people believing it.

The only person back in England he somewhat felt he owed any sort of explanation to was Eliana Travers. She had been completely in the dark about everything, she believed Regulus had ditched her the night before their wedding, and then she thought he'd died.

Regulus might not have particularly liked her but he wasn't completely heartless. Truthfully, he had barely spared her a thought when he'd made plans with Sofia after Travers had died. He thought about contacting her in some way to apologise but any form of contact would reveal he was very much alive. And he didn't exactly trust her to keep that information to herself.

He'd forgotten about her mostly, afterwards. It wasn't until he'd gotten this letter maybe a year ago that he'd thought of her again.

Reg,

My uncle came to visit today and he said it was true you'd been killed for attempting to desert the Death Eaters. I tried to tell him it wasn't true. That you'd never do that. But I've been thinking and maybe you would do it. I wish you would've told me. I would've gone with you. I've never really cared that much about the war, I just wanted to be with you. Maybe I should've made that clearer before.

I don't know if you heard, but my brother is dead. Losing you both at the same time was... I don't even know what to call it. It was hell. I think Mother already has another suitor lined up for me. But I know he won't be you.

Anyway, I don't even know why I'm writing this. I think there's still a small part of me that believes you can't be dead. I'm only sending it because I can't bear to look at this parchment anymore. If you are alive, I know you're probably with her, and I hope you're happy. Truly.

Love,

Eliana

It made Regulus's heart twist into knots. He might not have been in love with her, but she didn't deserve this. Especially since he had been the reason she had lost her brother.

He'd sat on the letter for a year. The visit to England was meant to be brief. After a lot of trial and error with the Horcrux, he and Sofia had decided to try to procure some Basilisk venom, which, needless to say, wasn't exactly easy to come by. They had tried so many things already, but none of them had worked.

Now they were in England because some potioneer had assured them he had a Basilisk fang, and would be willing to sell it for a small fortune. Regulus was highly skeptical of this, since Basilisks were extremely rare creatures and no one had even seen one in half a century. But Sofia seemed optimistic, and Regulus didn't want to take this away from her. She needed a win.