27

AN: Ahhh we're finally here y'all !! This story has been such a pleasure to write and reading all of your nice comments has genuinely been my main source of serotonin for the past six months. You've no idea how much you all have encouraged me to keep writing. I think this might be one of my favourite stories I've ever written. Anyway, I'm sorry for the little rant... please enjoy !!!

cardigan – taylor swift

"tried to change the ending

peter losing wendy."

Sofia had been staring at the clock for exactly three hours, fifteen minutes, and twenty seconds. The longer she waited, the more she felt like she was going to throw up. But she did her best to remain calm. They needed her to be ready when they got back.

She has remained (mostly) calm for the first couple of hours, but the more time elapsed after that, the more restless she got. Four times in the last hour, she'd gotten up and walked up to the door determined to go down to that goddamn cave and help, but four times she had stood down, telling herself, what if they walk through the door right this second?

She'd written letters to her mother and siblings. She wrote them so often nowadays, they were probably getting sick of her. She gave no indication that anything out of the ordinary was happening. Mostly talked about movies and music and asked them about what they were up to.

Her eyes were drawn back to the clock. She stared at it for a full two minutes before she heard the unmistakable sound of someone Apparating and she rushed to the door. Sirius had an arm wrapped around his brother, who was limp in his arms. Sofia's heart dropped. She inhaled sharply and went over to help Sirius. Regulus's skin was deathly pale, his lips an awful shade of blue. Sofia's heart wrenched horribly in her chest.

"I managed to expel the water from his lungs, and he's breathing... he's just unconscious," Sirius said, out of breath.

He was alive. He was alive and Sofia's hands were shaking, she helped Sirius lead Regulus onto the sofa. He was drenched, but Sirius was right, he was breathing. Sofia quickly cast a drying spell.

Sirius held his brother's arm as Sofia punctured the skin of his hand and hooked him up to the IV drip—which yes, she had been forced to steal because of the short notice. She did not know nearly enough about Healing to know how wizards dealt with dehydration, so she'd settled for the Muggle way.

Sofia wrapped Regulus in every blanket she'd been able to find in the flat and watched his face closely for signs of consciousness. "Are you sure he'll be okay? Maybe we should go to St Mungo's?"

Sirius took a deep breath and sat on a chair next to the sofa. "If he doesn't wake in ten minutes, we'll take him."

Sirius started filling in Sofia on the events at the cave. It made Sofia's heart ache to know that Regulus and Sirius had had to go through that.

"If he hadn't cast that Lumos... I would've never found him," Sirius said, hunching over. "They already had him at the bottom of the lake... The flames I cast worked pretty well to repel the Inferi, but I had no idea where he was until I saw the light under the water. I thought it was too late. When I dragged him out of that lake..." he shook his head. "His lips were blue. I thought he was dead for sure."

Sofia looked at Regulus from her spot on the coffee table. She cast another silent warming spell, hoping he wouldn't get hypothermia. He was pale but not deathly so anymore. She stood and half sat on a tiny bit of sofa next to him. She just felt like she needed to be close to him. She reached over and brushed the hair away from his face. Then she pressed her palm against his cold cheek.