18

the story of us — taylor swift

"i would lay my armour down

if you said you'd rather love than fight."

Sirius did not come around over the next couple of weeks.

Sofia had given him that first week to cool off and think about things, but after that, she had tried and tried to talk to him. But he wouldn't talk to her.

Every time she even came near him in the common room, or the Great Hall, he'd make a beeline out of the room. Everyone in their House had even realised and people had started taking guesses at whatever they might have been fighting about.

The only person who had even an inkling as to what was going on was Chloe. Because she was the only person who knew Sofia had something going on with Regulus, and although she didn't know exactly what had happened, she knew enough.

Sofia hadn't been sure at first if Sirius had told at least James, but it seemed like he hadn't. James had asked her during Quidditch practice one day, he'd said Sirius refused to tell him what they had fought about. Sofia didn't tell James, obviously.

Since Sirius was pretty much Sofia's only close friend at Hogwarts, she had been taken in by Chloe's group of friends during meals. Sofia had tried to sit alone at first but Chloe had been determined. It wasn't so bad, really. Chloe was great, and Evans was cool too. But god, she missed Sirius.

Sofia knew that she needed to do something before the school year ended because once they were out of school, it would be a hell of a lot easier for Sirius to avoid her if he wanted to. And after that, they would never go to school together again and Sirius could very well avoid her for the rest of his life but Sofia tried not to think about that because it made her actually feel physically ill.

She told herself after the Quidditch Cup final, she wouldn't relent until they made up.

It was a month almost to the day after The Incident, that the final between Gryffindor and Slytherin would be taking place. Sirius wasn't commentating. He hadn't commentated the last few games either. Sofia tried not to dwell on it.

Sofia stood on the Quidditch pitch batting a few baseballs the night before. It was almost curfew but she didn't care that much.

"Are you supposed to be out here?"

Sofia turned around with a yelp. "You scared the fuck out of me!"

Regulus grinned. He came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. Sofia settled her hands over his arms. "Are you alright, love?"

"Why wouldn't I be alright?"

"You haven't really been alright for the past month."

"Then why are you asking?" Sofia's voice came out a little too snappy. She leaned her head against his chest. "I'm sorry. I just... I thought he'd come around by now. Or at least start to. But it seems like he hates me more every day."

Regulus snorted. "He doesn't hate you. He couldn't if he wanted to."

Sofia took a breath, her throat straining. "You know he... he told me that he fancies me."

Regulus tensed slightly. "I mean... yeah that's pretty obvious."

Sofia pulled out of Regulus's embrace and faced him. "It wasn't obvious to me! If I had known before I wouldn't have..."

A dark look fell over Regulus's face. "What? You wouldn't have agreed to be with me?"

Sofia sighed. "I already knew when this happened."