22

AN: I don't know if I should put in a warning for this but I do feel the need to say that if you're under like 15, do not read this chapter (like I'm actually begging you), or at least the second scene of this chapter. I promise you won't miss anything, and you'll be able to infer what happened in the next chapter.

right where you left me — taylor swift

"did you hear about the girl who lives in delusion?

breakups happen every day you don't have to lose it."

Sofia seriously considered not going back to Hogwarts come September. But if she really thought about it, her main reason would be so she didn't have to look at Regulus again, and she would not let him dictate what she did with her life.

So, even though both Sirius and Chloe had graduated, and the only other person Sofia cared about in the castle had dumped her unceremoniously, she held her head high and got on that damn train on September first.

She sat alone during the Welcome Feast. She had no interest in making any sort of new friends. She just wanted to keep her head down and get through this year unscathed.

It was at the feast when she finally spotted him. The first time she saw him since that day. She had tried not to look in the direction of the Slytherin table but her eyes had betrayed her. He sat next to Eliana, quiet and stoic, eyes firmly away from the Gryffindor table.

Sofia looked away quickly. She felt sick. Even though he clearly didn't even like Eliana all that much, he'd still chosen her over Sofia. That might have actually been worse than if he left Sofia because he was actually in love with someone else.

"Hey, Bess."

One of Sofia's dormmates, a petite redhead, Jessica, had sat next to her. Sofia had never been especially close with any of her roommates but she supposed Jessica was fine. Sofia nodded at her. "Jessica."

"You can call me Jessie, you know. I thought you might want some company," Jessica said with a friendly smile. "You know since Sirius graduated and you broke up with..."

Sofia's jaw tensed. "Well, I don't want company, Jessica," she snapped.

Jessica shifted away from Sofia. "I was just trying to help."

"Don't want or need your help."

Jessica sighed as she stood up. "All right, then. Have it your way."

She left and Sofia wondered for a moment if she should've been less mean. She had done an amazing job at being less mean in general during the previous year. But the thought of being friendly right now made her want to crawl into a hole.

She almost made it through the entire meal when another one of her dormmates decided to sit next to her. Sofia groaned internally. Why were these girls all of a sudden wanting to be friends with her after five years?

It was Lacey this time. Sofia didn't know her very well, she only knew that she was the resident mean girl of Gryffindor, Sofia kind of resented her for stealing the title out from under her, but Sofia didn't usually go out of her way to act like a queen bee as Lacey did. So, she supposed it was fair.

"Jessica is such a lame goody-two-shoes," Lacey said in a conspiratorial tone. "So glad you got rid of her. You know, I always respected you for how you had Sirius Black chasing after you for—"