Chapter 10

Kai

  The aroma left Kai feeling a little uncomfortable as he stood by the rest of his team, clutching on to his sword. He grasped the hilt of his weapon, the feeling of familiarity flourishing through his fingers. In a moment's notice, he would be able to swing the sword forth, slashing and stabbing the monsters around him. He positioned his feet in preparation, bending his legs to pounce when he needed to. His eyes darted in different directions, and he tried to calm his rattling brain, focusing on the center of the problem.

  The Mud Monsters grumbled, sloshing around relentlessly with their faces smushed. They advanced towards them, but the beast made up entirely of rock—whom Kai now assumed was their leader—stopped them, reaching out a stony arm. Kai pulled out his sword. It wasn't as good as the Sword of Fire, he would admit that, but he made very good use of the one he had now. The end of the sword was sharp, yet it had a smooth and lean surface, which really helped the handler strike with very swift and light motion.

  With a very loud bang, the leader of the Mud Monsters—or Cragling, as Zane would call it—smashed its fists into the ground, and boulders the around the sheer size of it rose into the air. The Cragling launched them right at them, hurtling through the air. Fortunately, Cole jumped in front and grabbed it, his fingers creating dents on the sides. His veins bulged, and his feet slid a few inches back. His face crossed in concentration, and he threw the boulder in the other direction.

  "That guy's got a grudge from that burn you gave him, Kai!" Cole huffed, his chest heaving. Kai rolled his eyes. He backed into Lloyd, slightly pushing aside. Then he felt something on his shoulder.

  "Let me help," Lloyd said, standing next to him. Kai stared into his eyes, then at his cast, then gave him a look that said, 'really?'

  "There's no time to dwell on it—I'm going to help, whether you like it or not," Lloyd told him sternly.

  "Lloyd, fighting doesn't always mean you're contributing to help; what'll help us is if you sit this one out. You're in no state to battle," Kai reasoned.

  "He's right!" Jay added, still trying to control the lightning above, which was giving him a hard time for some reason.

  "I know I can do it!" Lloyd argued. "I can still use my energy—" he conjured a huge ball of Green Energy, a soft whistle penetrating the air as it got bigger, but the light flickered, indicating that Lloyd's control was still somewhat unstable.

  Nya joined in and stopped him. "Lloyd," she spoke, bringing her full attention to the Green Ninja. "This isn't really the place or time. Please."

  Her words finally reached him, and Lloyd closed his mouth. He could still do more, he knew, but there wouldn't be much of a point. It could in fact make the situation worse. His friends were right. Still, he stood close, ready for anything heading their way.

  A few feet away from him, Morro slowed down the fires of boulders. Just like on the mountain, he used his element to prevent themselves from getting smashed to bits. He was incredibly strong already, so he managed to make good use of the wind and launched the rocks back at them, but his stamina was going out quick, since the Cragling had no trouble sending about five at a time.

  Cole helped him catch the boulders and throw them away, and Zane created ice shields to slow the enemies down. They weren't exactly making progress moving away or fighting back, but surviving the current issue was definitely something.

  Suddenly, the Cragling charged at them, footsteps hammering loudly on the ground. It ignored the Mud Monsters sloshing behind it. Its roars and gnashing teeth froze the ninjas on the spot, and a horrible wave of fear pierced their hearts. They didn't have time to react—it was too quick. Reaching its arm back, it was preparing to bash their heads in...