Chapter 1

Flame

  The sun shone through the window of the Bounty. It lit up the slightly crinkled pages of a novel Flame was reading. She was in her room, reading one of the Warriors Super Editions; Crookedstar's Promise. She was about done and had borrowed the book only this morning.

  "Man," Flame murmured. "Mapleshade is one heck of a villain. I'm not surprised, though. There have been quite a few manipulative bad guys the ninja had faced the past few weeks." She lived with the ninja, and sometimes trained with them, even though she technically wasn't a ninja herself. She slid out of bed, her red hair a bit frizzled from twisting and turning in disbelief from reading the change in events from each chapter.

  She walked towards her shelf and stared at herself through the mirror. She wore loose pants that reached her ankles. She had an oversized gray sweater with a small logo on the top-right side. She sighed and smiled. "Hm. So this is what all the Clan cats have to go through every morning. It's nice that they groom themselves after waking up so messy." And with that, she picked up her blue hairbrush and pulled her hair band loose. Her fire colored hair flowed to one side, curling around her neck. 

  Her skin was a bit pale, freckles spread across her face like Silverpelt in the night sky. Her eyes were forest green, and Flame liked to imagine that she resembled Firestar. If not mentally, then physically, at least. She stretched and sighed with relief. Then, as if her sigh had set off some sort of signal, someone knocked on her door. Flame flinched, then relaxed as she called for whoever it was to enter. The door opened, and Jay walked inside. 

  Jay was her older brother and was also the Master of Lightning. They looked a bit similar, but it would take some convincing for them to make anyone believe that that they were related. Jay had light brown hair that slightly hung in front of his face. He, too, had freckles, however, his eyes were lightning blue. They emitted a sort of spark, which matched with his personality, seeming that he was a "chatterbox", and would sometimes act like a kid. He had a dazzling sense of humor but was also very caring. There was this aura about him that made you feel comfortable around him. He was a confident young man. He was a bit taller than her, but he had been doing quite a bit of training with the rest of his friends.

  "Hey, Flame," he piped. "I came to tell you that lunch is ready. Cole whipped up something nice. I tried some earlier and it tasted great! Zane taught him a few recipes a couple of days ago!" 

  Flame walked over to the side of her bed and grabbed her Super Edition. She'd just finish it while she ate. "Thanks, Jay. I'll be right there!" He smiled and closed the door behind him, heading back to the dining room. 

  Flame looked through her closet to find something nice to wear. She eventually came across a long-sleeved, pale turquoise shirt and dark blue jeans. She quickly changed, and once she was ready she headed to the dining room where everyone was setting up. Flame set down her book in a safe spot on a table, away from all the food. If there was one thing she cared about other than her own family, it was her books. She would go straight up aggressive-mode on whoever dared to even lay a finger on her precious possession. 

  Nya looked up from spreading a thin blue cloth across the table. "Hi, Flame! Want to sit next to me after we finish preparing for lunch?" Flame smiled and rushed over to the Master of Water. "Hey," she replied. "Yeah, for sure!"

  She walked to the other side of the table and spread the cloth onto each corner evenly, smoothing it out with her hands. Zane, the Master of Ice, was cooking stir fry, expertly flipping the food by thrusting the pan without splashing any oil on him. Kai, Master of Fire, helped him by heating up the pan. Cole, who was the Master of Earth, helped Jay by grabbing utensils and plates for everyone. After everything was set up, everyone sat down and waited patiently for servings. Flame quickly grabbed her book and entered the room, flipping to the page where she had last left off.