Chapter 7

Zane

  It had been a few days since Jay returned from his fight with those mobsters. He told everyone about it, and Flame had covered her mouth in horror, but he assured her that he was fine. They were all relieved he had been okay, but the bruises on his neck looked quite bad, and Nya grew especially worried. However, Zane thought the owner of the store, Carter, did well by giving him ice and warm water. Aside from Jay's injuries, everyone continued to train on the Bounty's deck, going at it three times a day. Flame showed up every session, clearly determined to train with them.

  "Even if you prepare with us, we're still not going to allow you to come," Cole told her while aiming a blow at his practice dummy. Flame didn't say anything, but she screwed up her face in concentration while doing a roundhouse kick. "Yeah, I know," she said gruffly. Zane looked over. His expression was unreadable, but he had a deep understanding of how she was feeling. He remembered his creator—or his father—caring for him for many years. Dr. Julien taught him things other humans could learn. He was indeed a robot, but he was content with his father accepting him as a droid and a son.

  Zane could faintly hear those words that meant so much to him...

  You were built to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

  He winced as he remembered his father lying on a bed, breathing heavily, his face covered with creased lines, his eyes empty. He had not wanted to forget about the man that had given him a chance at life. Zane had reached for his frail arm as Dr. Julien pressed his 'memory' switch, the droid's thoughts, feelings, accomplishments, all of it draining in seconds. The old man in front of him was not familiar anymore. Nothing was.

  Years later, Zane had discovered his past. His beginning. Dr. Julien.... It was difficult to let those memories go, to let loved ones go. And Flame was going through that pain. It was pain he couldn't mend, though, and it frustrated him. And he knew it angered Jay, too.

  "Lloyd, if I am correct, I believe we are leaving tomorrow, aren't we?" Zane asked the Green ninja. Lloyd nodded in response. Flame spun around, halting her training. Her green eyes flashed with alarm. "You're leaving tomorrow?!" she said loudly. Nya turned towards her. "Yeah... sorry we didn't tell you, Flame. We just thought it'd be best to not say anything in case—"

  "In case what?" Flame said aggressively. "In case I would lash out in anger?" She stopped abruptly, realizing that she really was lashing out, but she merely scoffed and stomped to her room. Jay gazed helplessly at his sister, frowning. "We all agree that she's going to stay with Mystake, right?" he asked, mostly to himself than the rest of them. Kai answered. "Yup. Someone's gonna have to tell her that."

  Nya volunteered to give Flame the news while Zane agreed to tell Mystake. He rushed to the front of the Bounty and descended the ladder, leaping off halfway and summoning his dragon. As the pale outline of his dragon appeared, frost glistened off its wings. Zane mounted mid-air, pointing at the direction of Ninjago City. His elemental dragon soared across the grasslands, eventually catching sight of tall buildings.

  Once they had landed on the rough pavement, Zane dismounted and rubbed his dragon appreciatively. He thanked it, and it dissolved into cold, misty air, letting out a soft growl before it disappeared. Footsteps sounded behind Zane, and he turned to see Mystake exiting her tea shop, her arms behind her back. "Seeking me to ask a favor, I see?" she said wisely.

  "Quite right," replied Zane. Mystake gestured him to enter her shop, and they both walked in, the Ice ninja looking curiously at some dried leaves and jars with strange ingredients in them. Remnants of what looked like chopped up wood was scattered on the counter, but Mystake quickly scooped them up and put them in another glass jar and set it on the shelf. Zane noticed a rather young boy peer from the back room, his round glasses slipping off his nose. He leapt slightly when Zane's bright blue eyes caught his, and he dashed around the corner.