Chapter 11

Lloyd

  Within the group of Ninjago's heroes, resounding coughs shattered the intolerable silence. Lloyd dragged himself after his companions, but he could feel his source of energy drain from the very culmination of his being, rendering him helpless to move on. Lungs heavy with each breath, burning inhalations as ashes and cinders entered his body, he faltered onto the dust-strewn path.

  Zane darted for him and aided him to lean on his side. He was aware of the sheer amount of exhaustion Lloyd battled while they all traversed. And with how much he was walking on foot, it wasn't helping with his shortness of breath, either.

  "Easy there," consoled Zane, ensuring he was secure on his legs. With gentle motion, he massaged his back in wide circles, fixedly staring at nothing as his mind ran free.

  "Get him to sit over there, quick!" Jay said, pointing at a boulder nearby. It was nestled comfortably beneath a waning tree, tilting overhead as though the bark and leaves itself were ready to depart. There was no doubt, however, that the Master of Lightning held a note of panic within his words. There was no forgetting their interaction with the unholy beasts of this realm anytime soon.

  Kai hopped out of his seat and carefully directed Lloyd with Zane's help. When they set him down, all agreed to take a brief break to catch up with themselves and the queries rambling in their minds.

  Lloyd raised his head just a little, enough to make eye contact to a few of them.

  "We're gonna have to go eventually-" He couldn't finish his sentence before a disturbing fit of violent coughing rose in his throat. He doubled over, and Nya jumped to her feet while conjuring a large bubble of water. Without bothering to grab a cup, Lloyd bent his head and sipped. His throat singed, but the sensation which wasn't acrid or dry felt indescribably beautiful during those glorious seconds.

  "First Spinjitzu Master, I needed that," he rasped when he finally pulled away, breathing in without much difficulty this time. Wiping his mouth, he leaned forward and closed his eyes. "Thanks, Nya."

  "Take it easy, yeah?" Cole said, tapping him on the shoulder and relaxing at his side. Morro, however, stood several feet away from the team, his arms crossed, poise tense. The look he bore wasn't a kind one, as if he was contemplating something... not so nice.

  "What's got you so moody?" asked Jay, his tone rather snappish. "You've been like this for a while."

  Said member shot him a strict glare, chilling to the bone. "Just got a lot to think about," he answered simply. "Not much of your business. Got my own responsibilities."

  "Responsibilities, huh?" Kai snarked. He sure as hell wasn't afraid to join in their conversation. "Like what?"

  Lloyd reached out a hand. "Kai..." he warned.

  "I said, none of your business, stuck-up," Morro retorted angrily. The two of them stared daggers with absolutely no indication of backing out. Lloyd only watched with increasing bitterness, but he didn't want to deal with them at the moment. "I have no problem helping you find Wu," he added, carefully looking at the Red Ninja, "as long as this jerkwad knows his place..."

  "You say that again." Kai grit his teeth together and slowly raised his fists, flames dancing to life within his palms. The element looked so alive in this bleak and heavy world.

  But for the wrong purpose.

  In a moment's notice, Nya stormed over to her brother and suddenly dragged him by his gi. Lloyd could practically see smoke emit from her ears in spite of her immense fury.